Recipe: Grilled Chicken Greek Salad
Artichoke hearts, avocado, red onion or bell peppers would also be great in this salad. Check your fridge and toss any appropriate stray items into this salad. Crusty bread is all you need to complete the meal.
Yield: 2-3 dinner salads
Marinate Time: 1-3 hours
Active Time: 20 minutes
Cost: apx. $8.50
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh or 1 teaspoon dried thyme or oregano
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 6 cups salad greens or spinach, washed and spun dry
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, washed and cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup pitted black kalamata olives
- 1 small cucumber, peeled or striped with a vegetable peeler, cut into pieces
- Several basil leaves, torn
- 1/2 cup cubed or crumbled feta
1. Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and herbs. Season to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Place chicken in re-sealable plastic bag and cover with 3 tablespoons of the dressing, reserving remaining dressing to toss with greens. Refrigerate 1 hour and up to 3 hours.
2. Prepare gas or charcoal grill to medium heat.?
3. Grill chicken for 7-12 minutes on each side or until chicken is no longer pink (170?).
4. While chicken is grilling, in a large bowl, toss greens, tomato, olives, cucumber, basil and remaining dressing, to taste. Season greens to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. 5. Arrange salad in bowls or plates. When chicken is cool enough to handle, slice into strips and arrange on salad. Sprinkle with feta and serve.
This recipe was written by Peggy Lampman and originally posted on AnnArbor.com on May 26, 2010.