Recipe: Black Bean and Mango Salad with Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette
Here's a healthy, versatile and easy to throw together salad. It could stand alone as a light vegetarian supper, or it may be kicked up into heftier fare: spoon it into a tortilla, add some grated cheddar, fold over, then pan fry or bake it.
Yield: 4 cups
Time: 20 minutes
- 1/4 cup canola or other light oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Cayenne pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large mango, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, washed, seeds and membranes removed, diced
- 1/4 small red onion, diced
1. Make a dressing by whisking together oil, lime juice and cumin. Stir in cilantro then season to taste with kosher salt and cayenne.
2. Stir black beans, mango, red pepper and onion into vinaigrette. Season with additional kosher salt and cayenne, if desired.
This recipe was written by Peggy Lampman and originally posted on AnnArbor.com on April 4, 2011.