Recipe: Creamy Macaroni & Cheese
It's so easy to make a homemade version that there's just no need to resort to dehydrated stuff. Just be sure not to bake this, as that dries it out; the key to its creaminess is to simply immerse the pasta in the sauce and let the two dance happily together without any further intervention.
- 1 pound penne
- 4 tablespoons plus 3 another tablespoons butter for crumb topping
- 4 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 2 cups 2 percent milk
- 4 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon Mrs. Dash or other seasoning
- 1/2 cup whole grain crackers, crushed
Prepare penne according to package directions; drain.
In a medium saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk and cook until sauce is thickening. Slowly whisk in all of the cheese until sauce is smooth, then whisk in the mustard.
Combine penne and cheese; place into a 9×13-inch serving dish.
In a small skillet, melt remaining butter; remove from heat. Add seasoning and cracker crumbs; combine well. Sprinkle crumbs over the macaroni and cheese and serve immediately.
This recipe was written by Mary Bilyeu and originally posted on AnnArbor.com on Sept. 20, 2011.