Recipe: Grilled cheddar and apple sandwich
There are many brands of honey mustard but I'm still quite partial to the original Canadian Honeycup mustard, available at most local groceries.
Yield: 1 large sandwich (1-2 servings)
Active Time: 10 minutes
Grill Time: 20 minutes
Cost: apx. $4.00
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 thickly sliced pieces of artisan-styled bread, such as whole grain or Italian
- 1 tablespoon Honeycup mustard
- 2-4 1/4-inch slices (4-6 ounces) best quality Cheddar cheese*
- 1/2 peeled, cored and sliced apple, such as Fuji or Granny Smith
*I used Kerrygold Dubliner with Stout; a Farmhouse cheddar would also be excellent.
1. Spread 1/2 tablespoon butter on each bread slice.
2. Over medium low heat in a nonstick skillet, panini press or Forman grill (350?), place one piece of bread, buttered side down.
3. Spread exposed bread slice with Honeycup mustard, then layer with cheese, apple slices, and remaining bread, buttered side up.
4. If cooking in a skillet, press with a flat spatula or sandwich press. After 10 minutes, when cheese is beginning to melt, flip and cook until golden brown, an additional 10 minutes. Serve.
This recipe was written by Peggy Lampman and originally posted on AnnArbor.com on March 22, 2010.