Recipe: Andouille sausage with greens and mushrooms
I'm hungry for some sautéed greens and vegetables. I thought I'd add a bit of flavor to the mix with some diced andouille sausage, which easily transforms this simple supper into an upscale Cajun dining affair.
Yield: 4 servings
Time: 15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons diced onion
- 3 tablespoons celery celery
- 3 tablespoons chopped bell pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (1/2 teaspoon dry ), plus extra sprigs for garnish
- 3 cups sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups diced andouille sausage
- 2 cups cooked leafy greens, such as spinach, collard or kale
1. In a large sauté pan, heat oil to medium heat. Sauté onion, with a pinch of kosher salt, 1 minute. Add celery and red pepper and sauté an additional 2-3 minutes or until softened.
2. Stir in red and white pepper, thyme, mushrooms and andouille. Continue to cook 3-4 minutes until mushrooms are soft and sausage is beginning to brown. Stir in greens and serve.
This recipe was written by Peggy Lampman and originally posted on AnnArbor.com on March 24, 2010.