Recipe: No-Brainer Chicken Sausage Soup with Whole Grains and Vegetables
I used Near East Whole Grain blend in this recipe. Other grain blends may be substituted; adjust cooking time accordingly.
Yield: 3 servings
Active Time: 10 minutes
Simmer Time: 35-40 minutes
- 6 cups stock, such as chicken, turkey, beef or vegetable
- 1 box Near East Whole Grain blend (enclosed seasoning package, optional)
- 2-3 carrots, cut into coins
- 4 cups chopped Tuscan kale, washed
- 3 pre-cooked sausage links, cut into coins (I used apple-chicken sausage)
1. In a medium-sized pan, bring stock to a boil. Add grain blend and 1/2 of seasoning package, if using. Let return to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and simmer 15 minutes; then add carrots and kale.
2. Simmer an additional 15 minutes and add sausage. Cook until sausage is heated through and vegetables are tender, an additional 5-10 minutes. Taste then add remainder of seasoning package or kosher salt to taste. Serve with generous grinds from the pepper mill.
This recipe was written by Peggy Lampman and originally posted on AnnArbor.com on Nov. 30, 2011.