Recipe: Toffee Bars
Everyone in our family makes these cookies. They may be the first cookie I learned to make on my own. They are easy, fast, and delicious. This is a fun recipe to prepare with children because the prep time is quick and the results are very satisfying.
- 1 cup margarine (2 sticks)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 6 Hershey bars
- Festive sprinkles or chopped nuts (optional)
1. Beat margarine, brown sugar, egg and vanilla.
2. Add flour and mix thoroughly.
3. Spread in a 9x13-inch pan. Bake at 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.
4. Unwrap candy bars and have them ready. Now take the pan out of the oven and place candy bars on top of the hot cookie dough. Put the pan back in the oven for 60 seconds.
5. After you remove the pan from the oven, quickly spread the melty chocolate evenly over the top. I like to use the back of a spoon. (Let it cool before you attempt to lick it off).
6. If you like, sprinkle nuts or sprinkles over the chocolate.
7. Let the cookies cool slightly, and then cut into squares.
This recipe was written by Jim and Janice Leach and originally posted on AnnArbor.com on Dec. 3, 2011.