Recipe: Beer-Braised Peppers and Papaya
This can be a side dish for meat or fish, it can be served over rice, it can be a tortilla filling... enjoy it any way you like!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 small red pepper, seeded, cut into strips
- 1 small yellow pepper, seeded, cut into strips
- 1 small red onion, halved, sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, halved, sliced
- 1 small papaya, peeled, seeded, cut into strips
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup beer (alcoholic or not, either is fine)
Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add red pepper flakes, red and yellow peppers, red and yellow onion; saute until tender and slightly caramelized, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add papaya and salt. Add beer, bring to a boil, and cook until liquid has evaporated, stirring frequently.
Makes 2 cups.
This recipe was written by Mary Bilyeu and originally posted on AnnArbor.com on Jan. 2, 2012.