Recipe: Green tomato chutney
All I did was throw the tomatoes in a pot with some kitchen staples. In my defense, I was in a hurry. The following recipe has Southwest flavors fused with the cuisine of India - tomatillas, cumin and ginger. I plucked this recipe off the internet (Cooks.com) last year.
Yield: 2 cups
Active time: 12 minutes
Simmer time: 1 hour
- 2 1/2 pounds green tomatoes
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup honey or dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped or grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
1. Wash, core and cut green tomatoes into 1-inch pieces.
2. In a medium-sized heavy bottomed pan, whisk together vinegar, honey or sugar, ginger, garlic, cumin, mustard seeds and coriander. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil then reduce to a low simmer.
3. Cook 1 hour, uncovered, or until sauce has thickened and tomatoes have completely broken down. Add cayenne to taste.
This recipe was adapted by Peggy Lampman and originally posted on AnnArbor.com on Oct. 20, 2010.