Recipe: Balsamic Red Cabbage
This is a great vegetable side dish for a number of holiday menus. Roast goose, pork and rouladen (German beef rolls) are a few items that come to mind.
Yield: 2-3 generous side servings
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups thinly sliced red cabbage or 1 (10 ounce) bag shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1. Heat olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed sauté pan. Stir in cabbage and cook until just softened, about 6-8 minutes.
2. Stir in sugar and balsamic vinegar and cook until desired level of tenderness, an additional 5-10 minutes.
This recipe was written by Peggy Lampman and originally posted on AnnArbor.com on Dec. 14, 2010.