People & achievements in the greater Ann Arbor area, including Butzel Long and The Growth Coach
From new hires and promotions to industry awards, here's a roundup of achievements by businesses and individuals in the greater Ann Arbor area:
Robert A. Boonin, an attorney with the Ann Arbor office of Butzel Long was among five Butzel Long attorneys named Lawyer of the Year” 2014 by Best Lawyers in specific practice areas. Only a single lawyer in each practice area and designated metropolitan area is honored as the “Lawyer of the Year." Boonin was honored in the category "Employment Law - Management."
• Nonprofit Enterprise at Work recently announced that Susan Katz McFall will join the BoardConnect team as a workshop instructor. NEW’s BoardConnect program trains boards to be more effective, prepares individuals for board service and offers workshops on board member responsibilities. McFall is the former president/CEO and general counsel for W.K. Kellogg and will lead her first workshop as a BoardConnect instructor, “Serving on a Nonprofit Board,” on Monday, Sept. 9.
• Larky, the free website and mobile device service that helps consumers get discounts deserve from their memberships, has partnered with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan to help BCBSM members save more money by raising awareness and increasing usage of Healthy Blue Xtras, an exclusive savings program for BCBSM members. Ann Arbor-based Larky launched in April 2013.
• The Chelsea-Area Wellness Foundation recently named research scientist Ruth VanBogelen as CWF’s new coalition coordinator. Previously, Van Boegelen was active as a community volunteer in Manchester.
• Ann Arbor-based IHA and St. Joseph Mercy Cancer Program recently announced that IHA Hematology Oncology Consultants and the St. Joseph Mercy Cancer Program has been recognized by the Quality Oncology Practice Initiative Certification Program, an affiliate of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. The QOPI Certification Program provides a three-year certification for outpatient hematology-oncology practices that meet the highest standards for quality cancer care.
• Ahmed Abdulbaqi has launched a business and sales coaching franchise called The Growth Coach of Ann Arbor. The Growth Coach was founded in Cincinnati in 2002 and specializes in group workshops and individual business coaching, active in more than 140 markets in the United States and abroad.
• Editor Karl Rausch has joined RingSide Creative in the company's post-production division. RingSide Creative LLC is a media studio headquartered in Oak Park, with additional offices in Royal Oak, Southfield, Troy, Ann Arbor, Dearborn and Detroit. Rausch will work from the Detroit office.
• Ann Arbor-based Arotech Corp., a provider of defense and security products for the military, law enforcement and homeland security markets, announced Aug. 28 that its simulation division has won $2.2 million in various recent contracts awards and modifications to previous awarded contracts.
Email items for People & Achievements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Sign up for the weekly Business Review email newsletter here.