People & achievements in the greater Ann Arbor area, including IHA and Edward Brothers
From new hires and promotions to industry awards, read on to learn about achievements by businesses and individuals in the greater Ann Arbor area:
• IHA, a regional physician group practice headquartered in Ann Arbor, recently created a new position, the internal medicine department chair, appointed Dr. Thomas Shehab, to this new medical leadership role effective Jan. 3, 2012. Shehab is currently a gastroenterologist specializing in liver disease with Huron Gastroenterology, a position he will maintain, but at a reduced commitment level. Among his many other roles, Shehab will also serve as the chief of staff at St. Joseph Mercy Hospital - Ann Arbor, effective Jan. 1, 2012.
• Edwards Brothers Inc., a book manufacturer based in Ann Arbor, was awarded the Best Workplace in the Americas designation, Best of the Best 2011, for their exemplary human resources practices. The program was begun by Printing Industries of America, a graphic arts trade association, to specifically honor printing companies that provide a superior work environment. This year marks the 12th year of the Best Workplace in the Americas program, and Edward Brothers has been on the Best Workplace list for the last 11 years.
• The Department of Veterans Affairs in November awarded Michael Finegan, network director for Veterans Integrated Service Network 11, the John D. Chase Award for Executive Excellence at the 117th annual meeting of the Association of Military Surgeons of the United States. Finegan oversees a regional Veterans health care network of eight VA medical centers and 27 outpatient clinics covering more than 90,000 square miles in Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio, including Ann Arbor's VA facility.
• Ann Arbor-based real estate broker Charles Reinhart Co. Realtors recently added four real estate agents. Joining Reinhart are Oraibe Breadiy, Elise Dunn, Scott Courtney and Jackie Scheller. A resident of Ann Arbor, Breadiy will be working out of the Ann Arbor East office. Dunn, a Chelsea resident, will be working out of Reinhart's Chelsea office. Courtney will work out of the company's Ann Arbor West office. A resident of Stockbridge, Scheller will also be working out of the Chelsea office.
• On Dec. 31, Executive Vice President Scott S. Tanner will retire from Chelsea State Bank after 33 years of service. Tanner began his career at Chelsea State Bank in 1979 and began his banking career in 1967. A retirement reception for Tanner is planned in the main office lobby from 3-5 p.m. Friday, Dec. 30, and the public is invited. The public is also invited to stop in the main office bank lobby any time until then to sign Tanner's farewell card.
• Thomas M. Cooley Law School’s curriculum committee has approved plans to open an immigrant rights and civil advocacy clinic at its Ann Arbor campus. The pro bono clinic is scheduled to open in January 2012. This will be Cooley’s eighth clinic that students have the option to participate in. In Ann Arbor, Cooley has operated the Washtenaw County Public Defender's Clinic for 17 years. This will be the first in-house clinic at the Ann Arbor campus, 3475 Plymouth Road.
• Robert K. Fergan, an attorney in the Ann Arbor office of intellectual property law firm Brinks Hofer Gilson & Lione, has been elected as a shareholder, effective January 2012. Fergan specializes in client counseling, licensing, and patent prosecution in the United States and in other countries under the rules of the Patent Cooperation Treaty.
• The board of Road Commissioners has appointed Roy D. Townsend, county highway engineer, as managing director of the Washtenaw County Road Commission, effective Dec. 28. Townsend has served in various capacities for the road commission during the last 24 years. This appointment comes after the announcement that former Managing Director Steven M. Puuri wil retire, effective Friday, Dec. 23.
• Pittsfield Charter Township has been awarded the Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting by the Government Finance Officers Association of the United State and Canada for its FY 2010 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report. The Certificate of Achievement is the highest form of recognition in the area of governmental accounting and financial reporting and is valid for one year. The GFOA is a nonprofit professional association serving approximately 17, 500 government finance professionals with offices in Chicago and Washington, D.C.
• Email items for People & Achievements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Sign up for the weekly Business Review email newsletter here.