People & achievements in the greater Ann Arbor area, including Lycera and the Rosales Agency
• Lycera Corp., an Ann Arbor-based biopharmaceutical company developing oral medicines to treat autoimmune diseases, recently appointed Bruce A. Goldsmith as chief business officer. In this new position, Goldsmith will work as part of the executive team to implement the company’s corporate strategy and will lead the company’s business development efforts.
• Area residents are invited to the grand opening ceremony for the Rosales Agency - State Farm Insurance, 7025 E. Michigan Ave. Suite O, Saline, from 4-7 p.m. Thursday, May 9. A ribbon-cutting ceremony is set for 5:30, and beverages and hors d’oeuvres will be served throughout the event.
• Ann Arbor resident and CEO of Mac Arthur Corp., Christie Wong, has been appointed to the U.S. Department of Commerce Manufacturing Council. The council was created in 2004 to act as a private sector advisory committee to the Secretary of Commerce on the U.S. manufacturing industry. Mac Arthur Corp. is a Michigan headquartered global supplier of labels, tags and die-cut components to the automotive, electronics, industrial, medical and consumer goods markets.
• Washtenaw Community College has been awarded a $25,000 grant from the DTE Energy Foundation to help fund its Pre-College STEM initiative for two years. The intensive two-week WCC program is designed to promote STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) fields while helping students strengthen their math and writing skills. The goal is to prepare students to meet minimum requirements for entering college level courses; expose them to and engage them in STEM fields; and introduce them to skills that will help facilitate their success in college.
• NSK Steering Systems America has added a total of 111 new jobs at its Dyersburg, Tenn., Bennington, Vt., and Ann Arbor facilities in order to meet demand for its fuel-efficient electronic power steering system, specifically for two new product lines that begin production in 2013. Operating in the Americas, NSK Steering Systems America is a member of the NSK Ltd. group and is headquartered in Ann Arbor.
• The Michigan Health & Hospital Association honored Dr. Lakshmi Halasyamani, chief medical officer of St. Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor and Livingston, with the 2013 MHA Keystone Center for Patient Safety & Quality Leadership Award for her innovative and steadfast leadership in the midst of an unprecedented fungal infection outbreak. The MHA award recognizes individuals whose contributions to patient safety and quality improvement transcend the bounds of their own hospital or health system. Halasyamani received the award in the category of clinician leadership at the 2013 MHA Patient Safety and Quality Symposium on April 25. Starting in October 2012, Halasyamani led St. Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor’s response to the largest-ever U.S. outbreak of fungal meningitis and associated infections. The hospital has treated 193 fungal infection patients - more than any other hospital in the country.
• Telemus Capital Partners, an independent advisory firm specializing in wealth management services for high net worth individuals, has been named to Barron’s annual ranking of “Top 100 Financial Advisors.” Telemus, which has offices in Southfield and Ann Arbor, is the top-ranked southeast Michigan-based advisory firm on this year’s list, and at a ranking of 44th overall, is one of just two Michigan firms listed among the top 50 nationwide.
• Four attorneys from the Ann Arbor office of intellectual property law firm Brinks Hofer Gilson & Lione have been recognized as IP Stars for 2013 by Managing Intellectual Property magazine. Brinks Ann Arbor attorneys named were Lawrence G. Almeda, Joshua E. Ney, Steven L. Oberholtzer (the Ann Arbor office’s managing partner), and Eric J. Sosenko.
• All southeast Michigan area Busch’s Fresh Food Market locations will host an event called the "All aBout Children Food Drive" May 6-15. As part of the ABC Food Drive, customers can purchase pre-filled donation bags, drop off non-perishable donations or make monetary donations to support charities that fight hunger. Donations to four local Busch's locations will benefit Washtenaw County's Food Gatherers: Ann Arbor - Main Street, 2240 S. Main St. in Ann Arbor; Ann Arbor - Green Road, 2020 Green Road in Ann Arbor; Dexter Busch's, 7080 Dexter-Ann Arbor Road in Dexter; and the Saline Busch's, 565 E. Michigan Ave. in Saline.
Email items for People & Achievements to email@example.com. Sign up for the weekly Business Review email newsletter here.