Whimsical retail shop Catching Fireflies now open in Ann Arbor's Kerrytown
- /calendar/photologue/photos/Fireflies Web/cache/02282013_BIZ_CatchingFireflies_JT_01_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/Fireflies Web/cache/02282013_BIZ_CatchingFireflies_JT_02_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/Fireflies Web/cache/02282013_BIZ_CatchingFireflies_JT_03_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/Fireflies Web/cache/02282013_BIZ_CatchingFireflies_JT_04_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/Fireflies Web/cache/02282013_BIZ_CatchingFireflies_JT_05_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/Fireflies Web/cache/02282013_BIZ_CatchingFireflies_JT_06_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/Fireflies Web/cache/02282013_BIZ_CatchingFireflies_JT_07_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/Fireflies Web/cache/02282013_BIZ_CatchingFireflies_JT_08_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/Fireflies Web/cache/02282013_BIZ_CatchingFireflies_JT_09_fullsize.JPG
April and Steve McCrumb brought a pop of color to the Kerrytown neighborhood last week with the opening of their Catching Fireflies retail shop.
The “whimsical gift gallery” opened at 419 Detroit St., across the street from Zingerman’s Deli.
Joseph Tobianski | AnnArbor.com
From colorful printed scarves to kitchen tools and handmade photo frames, the store sells a range of items for customers of all ages. Treasure Mart owner Elaine Johns owns the 2,850-square-foot building, which now has bright awnings with the Catching Fireflies logo.
“We wanted the atmosphere to be welcoming, artful, happy and inspiring,” April said in a statement.
The McCrumbs started selling handmade paper goods at the Ann Arbor Art Fair 15 years ago. Today, they own Catching Fireflies stores in Berkeley and Rochester, Mich., they sell handmade photo frames and paper goods to more than 400 stores in the U.S., and they run an online store and blog.
The Ann Arbor Catching Fireflies store features work of more than 20 Michigan artists, the McCrumbs said.
The retail shop will host a grand opening celebration from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, March 16. The first 100 customers will receive free goodies; there will be live music and treats; a photo booth; and a 20 percent discount on the store’s inventory.