Posted: May 4, 2012 at 3:38 PM [May 4, 2012]
706 Dwight Street
Ypsilanti, MI 48198
May 3, 2012
To Whom It May Concern
It would be appreciated if the following information could be publicized. Thank
you for your help on this matter.
Week To Be Held In Ypsilanti
A group of organizations are teaming together in mid-May to encourage Ypsilanti residents to consider alternative forms of transportation for errands, traveling to work or school or just visiting friends and family. Residents are being encouraged try walking, riding a bicycle or using bus service during the week of May 13th to the 19th in the hope that they will continue to use alternative transit more throughout the year.
To encourage people to bike, walk or use the bus, organizations such as Bike Ypsi, City of Ypsilanti Non-Motorized Advisory Committee, Ann Arbor Transportation Authority and the Friends of the Border To Border Trail are planning the following events and activities…
All Week Events
- Free Coffee For Bicyclists - Beezys Café, 20 North Washington Street in downtown Ypsi will offer free coffee to anyone who rides and brings in their bike helmet during Bike-Bus-Walk Week.
- Ghost Bikes - Week-long display of white “ghost” bikes where cyclists have been hit in Ypsilanti meant to urge everyone to share the road. Locations will be at the SE corner of Cross and College Place and the SW corner of Forest and Prospect. Sponsored by the City of Ypsilanti Non-Motorized Committee.
- Bicycling & Walking Information - Literature rack display of bicycling/walking information handouts and Border To Border Trail maps at Ypsilanti Cycle, 116 West Michigan Avenue.
- Free Introductory Bus Passes – Never tried the bus before? Stop by the downtown Ypsilanti District Library (229 West Michigan Avenue) front desk for free sample bus passes courtesy of the Ann Arbor Transportation Authority. Passes available May 14-19 only or until passes run out, which ever comes first.
Special BBW Week Events
- Saturday Morning Bike Ypsi Ride - Saturday, May 12 - 9am from Beezy’s Cafe, 20 North Washington Street.
- Bicycling Information Display – Saturday, May 12th – 12noon to 3pm – Ypsilanti Cycle, 116 West Michigan Avenue. Pre-Ypsi Bike Bus Walk week staffed information table with bicycle information, area bike maps, route-planning advice and more.
- Bike Ypsi Sunday Ride – Sunday, May 13th, 1pm, Recreation Park, Oakwood and Congress Streets.
- Ride of Silence - Wednesday, May 16, 7pm - Slow paced, silent ride to commemorate cyclist killed or injured. Ypsilanti Recreation Park (Congress and Oakwood Streets).
- Basic Biking Talk – Thursday, May 17, 7pm, Library Plaza Park 219 West Michigan Avenue, east of the downtown library). Learn to navigate in busy urban areas safely and legally and basic maintenance (change a flat tire, basic bike checks). Free. In case of rain, the talk will be held indoors next door at
- Bike To Work Day - Friday, May 18 - Consider biking to work or for errands in Ypsilanti? This one day of the year is dedicated to getting people on bikes so give it a try! For those needing to go to Ann Arbor, join the Bike Ypsi group commute ride to Ann Arbor leaving promptly at 7:30 from Beezys Café, 20 North Washington Street.
- Bike Bash – Not an Ypsilanti event Bike Ypsi will have an information table there. Ann Arbor Farmers Market, 5:30pm to 8pm. A party to celebrate all things biking! Musical entertainment, food and drink, bike commuting classes, a bike show, photo booth, king/queen bike commuter competition, and more. Bike Ypsi ride (casual pace) leaving from Ypsilanti to the Bike Bash leaving at 5pm from the Corner Brewery (Forest and Norris) and back to Ypsi at 8pm (bring front/rear bike lights).
- Water Street Trail Clean-up/Workday – Saturday, May 19. This Ypsi Pride citywide cleanup day event, will concentrate on cleaning up and improving the Border To Border Trail in the Water Street development area. Meet at 9am, southwest corner of Park Street and South Street.
For more information about Bike-Bus-Walk Week activities in Ypsilanti, visit www.bbwypsi.org or call 734-487-9058.