A2eatwrite: What's cooking Wednesday? Blueberry/lemon/cornmeal muffins
And so I found myself, back from vacation, ready to embrace the pleasures of Ann Arbor summer. I was also in "want" of returning to healthy eating, after a week of cruise ship cuisine (the less said about that, the better).
*apologies to Jane Austen A2eatwrite's Blueberry/Lemon/Cornmeal Muffins
2 cups blueberries, preferably fresh 1/2 cup oat bran 1/2 cup cornmeal (preferably Bloody Butcher cornmeal from Jennings Bros.) 1 cup ww pastry flour 1/3 cup granulated sugar (preferably local Michigan beet sugar, available at the PFC) 1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp baking soda zest from one small lemon 1 cup lowfat buttermilk 2 eggs (preferably from your favorite Ann Arbor Farmers Market farmer) 1 tsp lemon extract lemon juice from half a small lemon 1 tsp granulated sugar for sprinkling
Note: There was a misprint in an earlier version of this article. The ingredients list is correct now.
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Spray a 12-muffin pan with cooking spray or an oil atomizer.
3. In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients, through the lemon zest.
4. In a separate bowl, beat eggs, then whisk in the buttermilk, the lemon juice and the lemon extract.
5. Blend the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, being careful not to over stir.
6. Stir in the washed blueberries.
7. Using a melon baller or other scoop, fill the muffin pan openings as completely as possible.
8. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until golden brown on top.
9. Cool in pan on wire rack for 3 or so minutes, then remove, loosening muffins with butter knife, and continue to cool on rack out of the pan.
* Servings Per Recipe: 12 * Amount Per Serving * Calories: 102.2 * Total Fat: 1.5 g * Cholesterol: 38.0 mg * Sodium: 141.7 mg * Total Carbs: 20.6 g * Dietary Fiber: 2.4 g * Protein: 3.9 g
As always, nutrition info supplied by the recipe calculator function at Sparkrecipes.com.