'The Voice' recap: Michelle Chamuel sings Annie Lennox's 'Why' in hopes of winning it all
- /calendar/photologue/photos/_The Voice Viewing/cache/06172013_ENT_MichelleVoice_DJB_0020_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/_The Voice Viewing/cache/06172013_ENT_MichelleVoice_DJB_0059_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/_The Voice Viewing/cache/06172013_ENT_MichelleVoice_DJB_0096_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/_The Voice Viewing/cache/06172013_ENT_MichelleVoice_DJB_0117_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/_The Voice Viewing/cache/06172013_ENT_MichelleVoice_DJB_0119_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/_The Voice Viewing/cache/06172013_ENT_MichelleVoice_DJB_0146_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/_The Voice Viewing/cache/06172013_ENT_MichelleVoice_DJB_0159_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/_The Voice Viewing/cache/06172013_ENT_MichelleVoice_DJB_0183_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/_The Voice Viewing/cache/06172013_ENT_MichelleVoice_DJB_0191_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/_The Voice Viewing/cache/06172013_ENT_MichelleVoice_DJB_0226_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/_The Voice Viewing/cache/06172013_ENT_MichelleVoice_DJB_0241_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/_The Voice Viewing/cache/06172013_ENT_MichelleVoice_DJB_0247_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/_The Voice Viewing/cache/06172013_ENT_MichelleVoice_DJB_0280_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/_The Voice Viewing/cache/06172013_ENT_MichelleVoice_DJB_0301_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/_The Voice Viewing/cache/06172013_ENT_MichelleVoice_DJB_0311_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/_The Voice Viewing/cache/06172013_ENT_MichelleVoice_DJB_0313_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/_The Voice Viewing/cache/06172013_ENT_MichelleVoice_DJB_0315_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/_The Voice Viewing/cache/06172013_ENT_MichelleVoice_DJB_0324_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/_The Voice Viewing/cache/06172013_ENT_MichelleVoice_DJB_0333_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/_The Voice Viewing/cache/06172013_ENT_MichelleVoice_DJB_0341_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/_The Voice Viewing/cache/06172013_ENT_MichelleVoice_DJB_0356_fullsize.JPG
On Monday night's two-hour live episode of NBC's "The Voice," the three finalists left standing—including the former Ann Arborite Michelle Chamuel—sang one last new song, re-visited the song that marked her/their defining moment in the competition (as determined by the coach), performed a song with the coach that got the artist there, and sang with each other.
In Ann Arbor, fans gathered at the Blind Pig for a viewing party for the program. They watched as Chamuel sang her "defining moment" song, for which coach Usher chose Taylor Swift's "I Knew You Were Trouble."
Following the performance, Shakira said she was "so thrilled you’ve made it to the finals. Your energy is crazy. It’s contagious." Judge Adam Levine said, "You feel the energy in here. You can’t create that. It’s created as a result of what you do on stage. People are screaming so loud our ears hurt."
Blake Shelton said, "You’ve become this rock star that’s happening right before our eyes."
Later in the show, before Chamuel performed her new song, Annie Lennox's "Why," she said in a video segment that before "The Voice," she was "working at a bakery and making my own music," while Usher said, "Who would have ever thought that a quirky girl with glasses would have taught me something?"
In reference to "Why," Chamuel said, "This song is pure emotion. It’s anybody’s game right now. In order to win, I need to be myself. And I need to trust my coach."
Following Chamuel's performance, Shakira—sporting a pair of Chamuel-like glasses—said, "That was beautiful. I think that people should know you’re such a humble and sweet person, and when you have humility on one side and talent on the other hand, that’s the perfect combination, a perfect recipe for long-term success."
Shelton noted, "That was a more laid back performance, and I hadn’t seen you do as much of that, and it’s probably an important time to show that side of you."
Usher said that what he "wanted to do was connect everybody to our story, and the mirror takes us back to when we first made the connection to the world."
Chamuel's competitors the Swon Brothers, sang "Danny's Song" as their defining moment song and "I Can't Tell You Why" as their new song; and Danielle Bradbery—who would appear to be Chamuel's biggest competition—sang "Maybe It Was Memphis" as her defining moment song and a knockout rendition of "Born to Fly" as her new song.
Lastly, Chamuel performed U2's "One" with her coach, Usher, and preceding that, a segment showed Usher having a meal with Chamuel, her mom, and her cousin, Dave.
Chamuel's cousin spoke of the first time he heard Michelle sing—"I had to leave the room in order to hear her do it," he said—and her mother explained that though their Jewish family had been in Egypt for centuries, they fled as refugees in 1967 and came to the United States.
"My parents came her as refugees, and this is definitely what they want for me, to be able to live the American dream," said Chamuel. "It all means so much to me."
Chamuel's fans may vote for her by calling 1-855-VOICE-02 or text 2 to 8642. The winner of the competition will be announced during a two-hour broadcast starting at 9 p.m. Tuesday on NBC. Another Ann Arbor favorite, Bob Seger, was announced as one of the special guests for the broadcast; he's slated to perform with the Swon Brothers.