Posted on Fri, Feb 5, 2010 : 8 p.m.

Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Ypsilanti girl; one suspect in custody

By Lee Higgins

Updated story: Second man arrested in Ann Arbor sexual assault investigation; missing girl found

As of 7:50 p.m. Friday night, Wayne William Rankin, one of two men suspected of traveling with a missing 14-year-old girl, is in custody, Ann Arbor police say.

Earlier today, Ann Arbor police issued an Amber Alert for Selena Leroux Riggins, who was believed to be traveling with two men - 25-year-olds Rankin and Woodrow Roosevelt Williams. The two men are wanted on felony criminal sexual conduct charges, police Lt. Angella Abrams said.

Riggins was last seen on Washtenaw Avenue in Ypsilanti at about 5 p.m. Thursday, the alert says. Investigators are still looking for the young girl and Williams. No further information is available at this time.

Selena-Leroux-Riggins.jpg

Selena Leroux Riggins

Police would not say whether the incident is connected to a sexual assault of a different 15-year-old girl Thursday at a Washtenaw Avenue hotel.

Riggins, who is a runaway, has ties to Canada, police say.

Riggins is white, 5 feet, 3 inches tall, 125 pounds with brown eyes and brown hair.

Williams is black, 6 feet tall, 180 pounds, with brown eyes, black hair and a tattoo on his right arm, the alert says.

Anyone with information can call 911 or Ann Arbor police at (734) 794-6911.

Amber-Alert-Suspects.jpg

Comments

Bob

Mon, Feb 8, 2010 : 3:44 p.m.

I echo the concerns that this is an "Ypsilanti" story. We really do get tired of the bias.

brianna

Sat, Feb 6, 2010 : 9:34 p.m.

i did some research i added rankin to myspace shortly before he turned himself in he had last logged in on the fifth now the girl was reportly taken on the fourth.williams has nuerous profiles with only 1 or two friends that are girls on each profile hmm raises some questions

cpshan

Sat, Feb 6, 2010 : 7:04 p.m.

The article states that she was a runaway and "was believed to be traveling with two men - 25-year-olds." So was she "abducted," a crucial element in the Amber Alert guidelines, or did she travel with these men voluntarily? If the latter, then I understand EyeHeartA2's inquiry and worry about the overuse and inevitable desensitization of Amber Alerts. There shouldn't be an Alert issued every time a runaway ends up with someone over 18 years old. Also, every state differs in how they use the system. I have lived in several states since the enactment of Amber Alert legislation and I have NEVER seen so many alerts as are issued here. It has definitely desensitized me.

M.

Sat, Feb 6, 2010 : 12:16 p.m.

Apparently any minor meets the criteria. The criteria (found easily online within 2 minutes) is: 1. Law enforcement must confirm that an abduction has taken place 2. The child must be at risk of serious injury or death 3. There must be sufficient descriptive information of child, captor, or captor's vehicle to issue an alert 4. The child must be 17 years old or younger "Many law enforcement agencies have not used #2 as a criterion, resulting in many parental abductions triggering an Amber Alert where the child is not known or assumed to be at risk of serious injury or death." - Wiki

TreeTownGal

Sat, Feb 6, 2010 : 11:24 a.m.

I'm with Malorie, I am worried for this girl. She is/was obviously in a very vulnerable state even from before being brought over to stay with her aunt. This is all from reading between the lines. I am worried for her and hope she is found in no worse of state.

M.

Sat, Feb 6, 2010 : 10:18 a.m.

I think with a little patience and a few more days, we will have the full story and the girl will be found or returned safely. Until then we can all keep our eyes open and be aware. There are some people angry that the headline includes Ypsilanti, but it does say "Ypsilanti GIRL", and she is supposedly living at her aunt's in Ypsilanti which would make the statement true. I think it's a piddly thing to argue when the focus in this article and the comments should be on FINDING THEM!

djm12652

Sat, Feb 6, 2010 : 9:44 a.m.

Okay, I've read the other articles and this post says she is a run-a-away, the other article says she recently moved to Ypsilanti to live with her aunt. What is the story? I hope she is found safe.

djm12652

Sat, Feb 6, 2010 : 9:40 a.m.

I also had the young girl in my prayers last night for a safe return. But in regards to crossing an international border,I agree with Craig Lounsbury, how does that happen?

clara

Sat, Feb 6, 2010 : 9:08 a.m.

Thank you Malorie So Riggins is not from Ypsilanti. She was visiting a friend from Ann Arbor. Her Ann Arbor friend is the listed victim in another story. The two girls apparently were assaulted by these men. And the only link this has with Ypsilanti, is that Riggins was heading toward Ypsilanti. I think annarbor.com needs to rewrite these two stories and headlines. Also, I see in 'OTIS' Woodrow Williams has quite a history. Could annarbor.com invest in searching the ICHAT website to see what the criminal histories are on these two fellows for us?

tidge

Sat, Feb 6, 2010 : 8:42 a.m.

Why does this story have "Ypsilanti" in the title, and remain 'tagged' as an "Ypsilanti, Crime", when the few facts available have this as an Ann Arbor crime? I think we are seeing some serious bias, especially considering that the "news" of the Ann Arbor Hotel rape story wasn't ever on the 'front page', yet the "Ypsilanti amber alert" was stickied to the top of the 'front page'.

Craig Lounsbury

Sat, Feb 6, 2010 : 6:55 a.m.

I echo others that she is found safe and unharmed. According to the article "14-year-old Selena Leroux Riggins left her home in London, Ontario..." which raises a question in my mind how a 14 year old gets through Customs at the border without a legal guardian.

Luxe Pierson

Sat, Feb 6, 2010 : 2:16 a.m.

I'm sorry, how does a 14 year old girl on her own cross into another country by herself? Clearly this child is a run away who THINKS that she is old enough to be making decisions on her own as if she an adult. Possibly lying about her age. I know at 14 I got away with saying I was 18 all the time because I was very independent. Although I was not involved in sex and drugs, as I am sure this child is in some fashion, I had friends who were my age who were and lied to older men and women about their ages, and trust me... as smart as we were, it was very believable. I, at 24 now, still look very similar to the way I did when I was 14. That said, if this 15 year old was indeed raped that is very unfortunate and I hope justice is brought swiftly, but it is also very possible this girl got herself into a consentual situation that after being caught she regrets. Fight me on my points all you want, but I remember what it was like when I was 14, and in 10 years since then, I have seen this kids growing up even faster than myself. This girl Selena is clearly hiding and possibly lying about who she is and how old she is. How she is traveling between countries alone is beyond me. I hope that the authorities aren't quick to presume guilt over innocence for these men just because they are older and black. 14 or not, in my opinion, from my own experiences is hardly a child anymore in this day and age. This girl is culpable for her disappearance and its about time that girls like these are also held accountable for their actions in situations such as these.

M.

Sat, Feb 6, 2010 : 12:50 a.m.

From http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/amber-alert-issued-for-14-year-old-girl-100205 : ANN ARBOR, Mich. (myFOXDetroit.com) -- The search continues for a missing 14-year-old girl feared to be with a dangerous, older man. An Amber Alert remains in effect. 14-year-old Selena Leroux Riggins left her home in London, Ontario to visit a 15-year-old girlfriend in Ann Arbor. Riggins is now missing and police say she's in danger. Riggins is described as a white female, 5'3" tall, 125 pounds with brown eyes and brown hair. They believe she's in the company of 25-year-old Woodrow Roosevelt Williams II. Williams is 6'0" tall, 180 pounds and has a tattoo on his right arm. Police confirm that Williams and 25-year-old Wayne William Rankin met Riggins on a bus. Riggins, her 15-year-old Ann Arbor girlfriend and the two men were traveling without a car, walking and riding a bus between Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti. The 15-year-old Ann Arbor girl woke up in a hotel in Ann Arbor Friday morning. She said the events of the previous night are cloudy and unclear. Rankin turned himself in to Ann Arbor police Friday evening. He's been arrested and charges are pending. The prosecutor is reviewing the case. Police will not disclose what the charges against Rankin could be. Police say what's important now is to find Selena Riggins and Woodrow Williams as quickly as possible. "They may be in the area, but we do know that right now we'd like to get this girl back home and we need the help of the viewers," said Ann Arbor Police Lt. Angella Abrams.

M.

Fri, Feb 5, 2010 : 8:09 p.m.

EyeHeartA2 - 14 years old qualifies as a "little kid" to me. http://www.annarbor.com/news/teenager-sexually-assaulted-at-ann-arbor-hotel/ is another article and there's some mention that these two girls are friends, so we could assume that this Selena may be in danger. Even if the missing child is from another country, it doesn't disqualify them when they went missing in THIS country. I can't believe someone wants to argue about the validity of an amber alert!!!

tdw

Fri, Feb 5, 2010 : 7:26 p.m.

This is funny its been 2/12 hours since Rankin went to the A2 police and theres been no clarification

bucksnort

Fri, Feb 5, 2010 : 6:08 p.m.

i understand that thar is bad info in the amber alert. i'm just wondering how something like this could happen. when a child's life is in danger...that could be the difference between life and death.. opps sorry mom and dad type o.. this should never happen whos ever falt it is....

bucksnort

Fri, Feb 5, 2010 : 5:17 p.m.

that's bad info on rankin he's not 6.4..he's more like 5.4. you have people looking for the wrong guy

tdw

Fri, Feb 5, 2010 : 5:16 p.m.

Hey a2.com Rankin is at the police station right now I saw a reporter from ch2 outside the station

bucksnort

Fri, Feb 5, 2010 : 5:09 p.m.

6.4 and 130 pounds...don't sound right?

Ms.Reed

Fri, Feb 5, 2010 : 5:08 p.m.

Please if anyone knows these two men, please call the police with any info that will help find Selena. If you have seen them in the last few days please call the police! thanks

tdw

Fri, Feb 5, 2010 : 5:05 p.m.

Update Rankin saw his photo and went straight to A2 police to say he has nothing to do with it@5:00

Macabre Sunset

Fri, Feb 5, 2010 : 5:04 p.m.

I hope she's found quickly. BTW, the story has Rankin as 6-4, 130, which sounds a little Cirque du Soleil. The mug has him at 5-5, 130, likely more accurate.