You are viewing this article in the AnnArbor.com archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see MLive.com/ann-arbor
Posted on Fri, Dec 28, 2012 : 6:29 p.m.

Ann Arbor firefighters extinguish blaze caused by dryer malfunction

By Kyle Feldscher

A dryer fire caused extensive damage to an Ann Arbor home Friday morning after a malfunction caused the machine to spread fire to the basement and a first-floor room.

fire_truck_2.jpg

Ann Arbor firefighters extinguished a blaze caused by a dryer fire on Maplewood Avenue Friday.

AnnArbor.com file photo

Ann Arbor Fire Department Lt. Craig Ferris said in a statement Friday firefighters were dispatched to a home in the 2800 block of Maplewood Avenue. The fire started in the basement and caused damaged to one room directly above the dryer on the first floor.

The occupants of the home managed to escape the blaze uninjured before calling 911, Ferris said. There were no injuries to firefighters who fought the flames Friday.

Ferris did not provide a monetary damage estimate, only calling the damage “extensive.”


View Larger Map

Kyle Feldscher covers cops and courts for AnnArbor.com. He can be reached at kylefeldscher@annarbor.com or you can follow him on Twitter.

Comments

CynicA2

Sun, Dec 30, 2012 : 10:52 p.m.

Clean the dryer lint filter after each use - lint builds-up quickly and dryer fires caused by an accumulation of lint are a leading cause of home fires each year.

jns131

Sat, Dec 29, 2012 : 3:34 p.m.

Always take this vent from dryer to the outside apart and vacuum out at least once a year. Never know what can get stuck in there. I do an air dry without the lint catcher. Wow. what a nightmare.

justcurious

Sat, Dec 29, 2012 : 1:35 p.m.

This article did not state the cause of this fire but it could be a good reminder not to use the plastic accordion type venting for dryers. If you have one, best to replace it with metal.