You are viewing this article in the archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see
Posted on Sat, Dec 1, 2012 : 2:47 p.m.

Ann Arbor firefighters extinguish small blaze at Courthouse Square

By Bob Needham


Ann Arbor firefighters and police officers work the fire at Courthouse Square on Saturday.

Bob Needham |

Hot dogs caught fire in a stove at the Courthouse Square senior apartment building in downtown Ann Arbor Saturday afternoon, but firefighters quickly extinguished the fire.

Ann Arbor Fire Department Battalion Chief Robert Vogel said the call came in about 2 p.m. Saturday. Firefighters found that a man had been baking hot dogs in an oven in an apartment on the eighth floor of the building, and the grease from the dogs caught fire.

There was "light to moderate smoke" on the eighth floor of the building, at the corner of East Huron Street and South Fourth Avenue, Vogel said. Residents of both the eighth and ninth floors were briefly evacuated from their apartments, but they stayed in the lobby of the building.

Damage from the fire was confined to the stove, and residents were able to return to their rooms by about 2:30.


John Hritz

Sun, Dec 2, 2012 : 9:08 a.m.

A "small blaze" is an oxymoron. blaze/bl?z/ Noun: A very large or fiercely burning fire.

Ann English

Sat, Dec 1, 2012 : 11:42 p.m.

What did the man do, open the oven door once he realized there was a fire inside? I thought all oven fires, whether in built-in ovens or toaster ovens, would go out on their own if the oven doors remained closed; the fires would simply use up the limited oxygen in the closed oven and no real damage would be done to how the oven operated.


Sun, Dec 2, 2012 : 12:16 a.m.

You'll never know, until you try.