With video: Ann Arbor mayor to make an appearance at GoogleFest
Ann Arbor Mayor John Hieftje will be making an appearance Friday at GoogleFest, said organizer Chad Wiebesick of the Ann Arbor Ad Club.
Wiebesick said Hieftjie will participate in the event’s flash mob from 11:57 a.m. to noon and will speak to the crowd.
The project would process one gigabit of data per second and provide Internet speeds about 100 times faster than most Americans currently have.
GoogleFest will start with a flash mob, then carry-on throughout the day with a series of live performers, music and entertainment on the Diag until 8 p.m. - including perfomers Chris Bathgate and "Dear Noble Leader."
Participating local restaurants and businesses will also be offering discounts and specials.
Laptop computers will be on hand to encourage supporters to submit a formal request to Google on why it should bring its fiber optic network to the city.
The updated list of participating businesses includes:
- Ashley's (338 S. State St.) - 10 percent off bill
- Bivouac (336 S. State St.) - spend $50 and get 10 percent off. Expires at 6 p.m. Friday.
- BTB Burrito (810 S. State St.) - 50 cents off any burrito
- Buffalo Wild Wings (205 S. State St.) - Receive four free boneless chicken wings from noon to 1 p.m.
- Conor O'Neills (318 S. Main St.) - 15 percent off any order from noon to 4 p.m.
- Rick's American Cafe (611 Church St.) - No cover and $1 domestic bottles before 11 p.m.
- Stucchi's Ice Cream (302 S. State St. and 1121 S. University Ave.) - Buy one ice cream and get a second free from noon to 5 p.m.
- Vie Fitness & Spa (209 S. Ashley St.) - 25 percent off smoothies and salads, 25 percent off first pilates or personal training session, 15 percent off any spa service (massage, pedicure, manicure, waxing, facial) and complimentary fitness class from noon to 8 pm.
The dance they plan to perform and tape can be seen here: