Posted on Thu, Mar 8, 2012 : 2:54 p.m.

3th and 4rd? Ann Arbor officials are fixing typos in city hall sign

By Ryan J. Stanton

Where can you find the offices of the mayor, city administrator and city attorney inside Ann Arbor's newly renovated city hall?

city_directory_sign_March_2012_a.jpg
Apparently they're on the "3th" floor.

And if you're looking for the systems planning or project management staff, you can find them up on the "4rd" floor.

A new sign next to the elevator in the entrance to city hall, with a floor-by-floor directory of city offices, includes the "3th" and "4rd" typos in big bold letters.

Asked about the goof-up this week, Lisa Wondrash, a spokeswoman for the city, said the sign was fabricated in-house, so the cost to replace it will be nominal.

She thanked AnnArbor.com for pointing out the typo and said the communications office — also on the "3th" floor — will get it fixed as soon as possible.

Wondrash said she couldn't say for certain how long the sign has been up. The city recently updated the sign to include IT Services on the first floor of the Justice Center, so she guessed maybe a week or two.

Ryan J. Stanton covers government and politics for AnnArbor.com. Reach him at ryanstanton@annarbor.com or 734-623-2529. You also can follow him on Twitter or subscribe to AnnArbor.com's email newsletters.

Comments

Tru2Blu76

Sat, Mar 10, 2012 : 10:06 a.m.

LOL!! But wait: isn't this level of literacy just what Governor Snyder & his Republican Legislators are AIMING FOR? Look how quickly the massive cuts to Michigan education have taken effect!! I'm so inspired, I think I'll go out and by a new "4rd" automobile!!

Arlene

Fri, Mar 9, 2012 : 3:55 p.m.

Always knew some of the people in city hall didn't know where they were going, but now I know they don't know where there are!

Hmm

Fri, Mar 9, 2012 : 3:34 p.m.

4rd makes good trucks I hear, especially their F-150!

Jojo B

Fri, Mar 9, 2012 : 3:10 p.m.

Awesome comments! I was about to make an A2.com comparison, but 20 people already beat me to it. Everybody makes mistakes and has typos. But so many companies and institutions want to save money and fly by the seat of their pants, but it's bad practice for journalism business and bad practice for a sign/label-making shop. And it typically results in some serious beholder sarcasm!!!

Jojo B

Fri, Mar 9, 2012 : 3:15 p.m.

Dang, I meant to write "fly by the seat of their pants WITHOUT AN EDITOR PROOFING WORK BEFORE IT GOES LIVE", but I don't have an editor either, so I screwed up. Oh the irony! :)

motorcycleminer

Fri, Mar 9, 2012 : 12:51 p.m.

Same people proof read the laws that the prince and minions pass ..what do you expect....

Basic Bob

Fri, Mar 9, 2012 : 1:41 p.m.

Clearly there is no proofreading. That is the failure.

AAW

Fri, Mar 9, 2012 : 11:20 a.m.

I agree with A2D2 and Joseph they have taken lessons from A2 news. lol

Arieswoman

Fri, Mar 9, 2012 : 10:51 a.m.

annarbor.com is just calling the kettle black. I have seen so many of their typos! As a matter of fact I recently pointed out that April did NOT have 31 days they fixed the caption and pulled my comment down! They (a2.com) do not like the same criticisms. This is really funny!

snapshot

Sat, Mar 10, 2012 : 2:06 a.m.

Your criticism would be more meaningful if annarbor.com was a government agency fully funded and unworried about making a profit or turning out dozens of stories rather than ONE marque. Many folks at this newspaper have lost their jobs due to not making a profit. Maybe government employees have the time, the money and the manpower to do a good job. That you complain about the industry of a free press because of typo's and compare it to the business of government shows a lack of education and respect for private enterprise vs. taxpayer supported government entities supported by those private business tax dollars.

snapshot

Fri, Mar 9, 2012 : 7:12 a.m.

And union labor is better?

Jessie

Fri, Mar 9, 2012 : 12:59 a.m.

Ok wait.....this had to be POINTED OUT to them?????????? Great googly moogly.

Jessie

Fri, Mar 9, 2012 : 1:04 a.m.

I showed this to a friend, and she said "4rd? I drive a 4rd."

Vette96drvr

Thu, Mar 8, 2012 : 10:48 p.m.

Then sign was done in house! How did anyone even fill out the application to get hired by the city with that sort of education?

Richard Wickboldt

Thu, Mar 8, 2012 : 10:47 p.m.

I am not surprised. Ever notice the errors in some of the construction project signs. However I do have to wonder if this an indication of the competency of our city organization. Or maybe this was just a test to see if us fine taxpaying citizens are competent..

Doug

Thu, Mar 8, 2012 : 9:54 p.m.

There wasn't just one person responsible for developing this sign. It's the lack of being responsible for your work by many people.

Forever27

Thu, Mar 8, 2012 : 9:06 p.m.

me fail english? that's unpossible!

Doug

Fri, Mar 9, 2012 : 8:23 p.m.

At least they can count to 4rd!

dading dont delete me bro

Thu, Mar 8, 2012 : 9:04 p.m.

"...the communications office " LOL who approved the artwork/proof? hope it's not on A2's dime...

Morris Thorpe

Thu, Mar 8, 2012 : 8:47 p.m.

The Pulitzer Committee has been notified.

getmoney

Thu, Mar 8, 2012 : 8:27 p.m.

The writers at a2.com also work for the city sign shop?

Joseph Welch's Ghost

Thu, Mar 8, 2012 : 8:17 p.m.

@annarbor.com: Let he who is without sin . . . .

Brad

Fri, Mar 9, 2012 : 1:26 p.m.

I have something way better than a bible - a spell-checker. Praise Microsoft!

nvragain

Thu, Mar 8, 2012 : 8:22 p.m.

spot on! the bible teaches us so much, like not to be hypocrites

nvragain

Thu, Mar 8, 2012 : 8:16 p.m.

Oh the irony! How can you even run a article about typos? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

Pug

Fri, Mar 9, 2012 : 1:57 p.m.

@nvragain...did you mean "an article"? lol...

A2D2

Thu, Mar 8, 2012 : 8:12 p.m.

That's the great thing about our city officials: 1th things 1th!!!