Posted on Tue, Jan 1, 2013 : 8:30 a.m.

Another year, another resolution: What do you hope to accomplish in 2013?

By Kyle Mattson

GR0215LEVINE1.JPG

Losing weight and being more active are two of the most popular New Year's resolutions made by Americans every year. Photo By: Matt Gade | MLive.com

It's difficult to find anything more peculiar about the holiday season than the annual tradition of setting — then forgetting — a New Year's resolution.

Like the eager student who vows to study every waking moment at the beginning of the semester only to sell back their book at the end with just the first chapter highlighted, millions of people across the world set eager goals only to realize a year later they failed.

Be it losing that 10 pounds you gained five years ago, giving up that bad habit, learning a new skill, or maybe a less self-focused goal such as volunteering more there is a good chance that by the time the snow melts you'll be back to your old ways.

There have been several studies, publications, and reports on why most of us fail to achieve these self-imposed goals aimed at improving our life. Despite these, the end result usually is the same.

Although we could see it as a failing point of humanity that we are unable to do accomplish something as simple as resisting the craving for a hamburger, what the annual reminder of the New Year at least provides us a time to reflect on the year that was. I would be hard-pressed to tell you the last time I made a resolution and will pass again this year, instead I'll be looking back at 2012, the lessons learned, the unforgettable memories, and what changes to make in the new year and beyond.

For those setting a goal, Ann Arbor-based organizational psychologist and executive coach Robert Pasick recommends the following:

• Set reasonable and measurable goals
  • Measure your progress on a daily basis
  • Use a buddy system to work with somebody else to be sure both of you achieve your goals
  • Celebrate and reward success
  • If you fall off the wagon, get back up and keep going — don't quit
  • Remember, it's good to set New Year's resolutions, you're far more likely to succeed than someone who does not even bother

What is your resolution for 2013?

Comments

a2huron

Wed, Jan 2, 2013 : 1:55 p.m.

The photo says a thousand words!

Carole

Wed, Jan 2, 2013 : 1:54 p.m.

My hopes and dreams are that we will have a government that will work for the people, be of the people and by the people. For four years they have been working without a budget, and then ending the year with are we or are we not going over the "fiscal cliff" -- please. Either get the job done that you were voted to do, or get out. And, with budget cutting their salaries would be the first to be cut along with the many, many perks. For myself, I am content with my life and would be even more if the government was not so in control of what cuts or increases they can make on my income and health as well as many more.

Homeland Conspiracy

Tue, Jan 1, 2013 : 10:27 p.m.

I'm going to believe everything the main stream media tells me...

sayzme

Wed, Jan 2, 2013 : 6:21 p.m.

And I will believe everything FOX News tells me...

MRunner73

Tue, Jan 1, 2013 : 7:51 p.m.

Like football, break the year into four quarters. The first quarter of the year is easy to stay on track. The real resolve comes in the second, third and fouth quarters. Good luck.

Lizzy Alfs

Tue, Jan 1, 2013 : 7:14 p.m.

I actually like resolutions. Even if you don't accomplish them, it helps me get on track and helps me narrow in on goals. Last year, I made a resolution to call/email/visit my extended family more often. This year, my big resolution: don't sweat the small stuff! Also, sticking with my savings plan and always getting to work on time. ;)

Top Cat

Tue, Jan 1, 2013 : 5:07 p.m.

I resolve to visit 3 brewpubs in Michigan that I have never been to before.

tdw

Tue, Jan 1, 2013 : 5:47 p.m.

Does that mean you will be going to the UP ?

Kyle Mattson

Tue, Jan 1, 2013 : 5:26 p.m.

I can support that resolution Top Cat!

golfer

Tue, Jan 1, 2013 : 4:38 p.m.

see next year

Tom Todd

Tue, Jan 1, 2013 : 3:29 p.m.

to stay away from toxic people.

Top Cat

Tue, Jan 1, 2013 : 6:50 p.m.

Amen to that Brother!

Brad

Tue, Jan 1, 2013 : 3:04 p.m.

I resolve to not be the subject of the file photo for next year's version of this evergreen.

Loopy

Tue, Jan 1, 2013 : 10:43 p.m.

LOL!! That was my thought exactly.

arborarmy

Tue, Jan 1, 2013 : 2:08 p.m.

I resolve to do all I can to see that as many Republicans as possible holding office in the State of Michigan are defeated in 2014. The effort starts now.

arborarmy

Tue, Jan 1, 2013 : 6:10 p.m.

"My way or the highway"? You must be speaking of A2's most famous resident, our Dear Leader, hizzonner the guv.

Itchy

Tue, Jan 1, 2013 : 6:01 p.m.

I have made my resolution to be more tolerant of differing ideas vs. the AA trend of 'my way or the highway'.

arborarmy

Tue, Jan 1, 2013 : 3:30 p.m.

@femder: you, apparently, are unaware that all three branches of the state's government are dominated by repubies? I guess that's the repuby definition of "diverse".

Fender66

Tue, Jan 1, 2013 : 3:08 p.m.

....and you libs like to talk about how you love to live in such a "diverse" community such as Ann Arbor. It's diverse to you as long as everyone leans left.

Paul

Tue, Jan 1, 2013 : 2:52 p.m.

Not only in Michigan but the rest of the USA!

tdw

Tue, Jan 1, 2013 : 1:59 p.m.

I've managed to stick to last years resolution which was not to make any New Year's resolutions

justcurious

Tue, Jan 1, 2013 : 11:05 p.m.

Me too. But even so I did lose 50 pounds!