Posted on Sat, Nov 5, 2011 : 3 p.m.

Church partners with gasoline station to give back to community with $2.49 per gallon gas

By Lisa Carolin

110611_churchgas.jpg

Cross and Resurrection Church pastor Bryan Schindel, right, pumps discounted gas into the truck of Ypsilanti resident Earl Easley on Saturday morning.

Angela J. Cesere | AnnArbor.com

The $25 price for 10 gallons of gasoline at Kampus Korner in Ypsilanti had motorists lined up along North Huron Street this morning.

"I saw the young lady holding up the sign and thought that is a good price for gas," said Antonio Scott of Ypsilanti.

"I saw the line of cars, saw the $2.49 sign, and I turned around," said Lea Williams of Ecorse. "I'm going to be late for work but this is worth it. I appreciate the price of this gas."

A little bit of encouragement was the purpose of today’s 9 a.m.-noon partnership between Kampus Korner and the Cross and Resurrection Lutheran Church located just around the corner on Ann Street. Church volunteers washed windshields, made purchases and got change for customers in the Kampus Korner store.

"We want to let people know that we're here in the community and that we're here to serve," said church member David Ham as he pumped gasoline.

110611_churchgas2.jpg

Cross and Resurrection Church member Bruce Franson washes the windshield of a car at Kampus Korner.

Angela J. Cesere | AnnArbor.com

"I'm a runner," said 14-year-old church volunteer Angela Knickelbein. "We're inviting people to come and stop by our church for cider and donuts."

Customers received a card from church members showing its location and the times of its Sunday services.

"I was at work and my neighbor texted me about the gas prices," said Ypsilanti resident Shonda Gibbs, who planned to stop by the church."

Other customers were less inclined to visit the church.

"I was out of gas and decided to stop," said Nancy Buckman of Ann Arbor. "I hadn't heard of the church and probably won't be stopping by."

"Some people have asked for prayers right here," said Paul Knickelbein, an administrator at Cross and Resurrection Lutheran Church. "Everybody's been real positive and thankful. In today's economy, people are struggling, and $9 off gas makes a difference."

"It's great to be able to give back to the community," said Hussein Hamid, manager of Kampus Korner. "It is an honor for the church to select us to be their partner. This is perfect timing. There is so much negativity, and this is a positive message."

Hamid said that business was way up compared to most Saturday mornings and that customers were very happy.

Comments

St. Luke Lutheran Church

Mon, Nov 14, 2011 : 4:44 p.m.

Great article and great thing for community. Nice work!

clownfish

Sun, Nov 6, 2011 : 4:03 p.m.

Some people can find the negative in ANYTHING, and they show up here everyday.

Clifford Comstock Jr.

Sun, Nov 6, 2011 : 1:50 a.m.

What these people are doing is great! I am going to start a bio fuel and products company and I am offering others to invest in thier future! Please contact me as we will have three phases of investment opportunities availible! Limited time offer! For Michigan Residents Only! cliffordcomstock2003@yahoo.com

Townie

Sat, Nov 5, 2011 : 9:45 p.m.

Churches like corporations with marketing and PR departments... And the 'ends justify the means' kind of logic. Grace of Ann Arbor (bus signs, illegal signs on public property) Interfaith Chapel (illegal signage) Just pulling in the sheep.... we know what's next.

HardWorker

Sat, Nov 5, 2011 : 8:49 p.m.

This is just church marketing and a distorted idea of charity, aka "giving back to the community". A church member washing windshields or bringing money change doesn't convey anything spiritual at all. Nowadays any handful of dudes open a church hoping that contributions will make them wealthy. I don't care if a pastor pumps to a truck for $2.49 a gallon. That doesn't help the community. Most likely the driver chose to get a gas-guzzling vehicle that only farmers (the true pastors) may ever need. Anyway, let me know when you get gas down to $0.15 and I might show up if you throw a party at "the temple".

cinnabar7071

Sun, Nov 6, 2011 : 12:40 p.m.

David Ham most people got your messege, but there will always be the closed minded person whos heart is filled with hate that will never see the messege. God bless you for trying to help someone else.

David Ham

Sun, Nov 6, 2011 : 12:13 p.m.

@HardWorker - As someone who was part of the event yesterday, I would agree that there are many important roles a pastor and church needs to perform in the community. Changing lives for people struggling with drug addiction, domestic violence and the like are critical functions of the church. This news story gave you a look at one day in the activities of our church. Because you might not have an insight into the other 364 days, please don't assume that these activities don't take place. Please also know that we weren't pumping gas for advertising. We were doing it to show people that we care about the community, not just those people with the types of serious needs you noted. Many of the people we served yesterday were genuinely pleased and surprised that some stranger would help them save a few dollars and just show some interest. In our cynical society, those types of events are all too rare for most people.

Jake C

Sun, Nov 6, 2011 : 12:57 a.m.

This really isn't all that different from what Missionaries have been doing for centuries. Show up in a poor country, hand out free food & shelter, and let people repay you by converting to your faith.

HardWorker

Sat, Nov 5, 2011 : 10:01 p.m.

It would piss me off to make a contribution just to find out that it was spent on people with deplorable financial management (... like all of those buying such a gas guzzling vehicle and then complaining how expensive it's to fill its tank). Ultimately, a pastor is not supposed to pump gas for advertising. He's supposed to pursue more delicate matters: preventing people from doing drugs, discouraging domestic violence, promoting self-improvement, education and the like. A church should be about true life-orientation, not about bargains and wasted "teachings".

Smart Logic

Sat, Nov 5, 2011 : 9:09 p.m.

Are you kidding me? Apparently it helped the huge line of people, and I'm sure each of them considered themselves helped. You know, the church could be paying people to take gas and some people would still say it isn't enough. Of course, those are the same people that don't contribute to the churches either.

Arboriginal

Sat, Nov 5, 2011 : 8:11 p.m.

Yeah buddy! Fill up that supersized truck that you are tooling around in ALL BY YOURSELF!!!

Charlie Brown's Ghost

Sat, Nov 5, 2011 : 8:15 p.m.

Not that there's a nothing wrong with that.