Posted on Tue, Dec 28, 2010 : 5:54 p.m.

Crash closes northbound US-23 at Washtenaw Avenue on east side of Ann Arbor

By Cindy Heflin

122810_US_23_Crash_3-4_L.JPG

A firefighter and a Michigan State Police officer investigate a crash along US-23 just north of Washtenaw Avenue on the east side of Ann Arbor Tuesday evening.

Lon Horwedel | AnnArbor.com

Updated story: 5 people hospitalized after rollover crash on US-23 north of Washtenaw Avenue

A serious crash on northbound US-23 has closed the freeway at Washtenaw Avenue on the east side of Ann Arbor, a dispatcher with the Washtenaw County Sheriff's Department said.

The dispatcher said the crash occurred just north of the intersection a few minutes before 6 p.m.

Officials said five people were transported from the crash scene, but no information on their conditions was available.

At least one vehicle left the roadway and landed in brush along the east side of the freeway.

As of 7:05 p.m., the freeway was still closed. Reports indicate multiple traffic backups in the area. A Washtenaw County dispatcher said westbound I-94 from Michigan Avenue to US-23 is gridlocked.

No further information was immediately available.

View Crash in a larger map

Comments

walliworld

Wed, Dec 29, 2010 : 4:04 p.m.

How awful for the accident victims. I knew it had to be a terrible accident, and I certainly don't want to detract from that, but I do have a complaint about how it was handled at the actual blockade. It took me from 6:30 to 8:45 to go less than 2 miles on 23 NB, only to be forced off at the Washtenaw exit. Although someone had already managed to get a lighted arrow and barriers to reduce traffic to 2 lanes just past 94, there were NO indicators of what to do at the exit onto Washtenaw. I'm not from the area and had no idea how to proceed once dumped off of 23. If they got an arrow and all the patrol cars mobilized to block the highway, why couldn't they -- after at least 2 hours -- have placed someone or something at the exit ramp to establish a detour for that incredible amount of traffic?!? I think it was a bad oversight in emergency logistics.

Betty Hufnagel

Wed, Dec 29, 2010 : 12:02 a.m.

I agree with Jill. Myself and daughter were there and it took us 2 hours to get from 94 to the turn off. And yes there were too many stuoid people trying to get ahead when none of us were going no where to begin with. I pray and hope all involved in this accident are ok and not hurt too badly. The picture sure does not look very good. God Bless all and if you were one those passing on the shoulder should be thankful for getting home safe. Maybe the next time patience will be your blessing.

Jill

Tue, Dec 28, 2010 : 10:34 p.m.

Thank you for the story. I had been wondering what happened. I must have hit the traffic not long after the accident, as there were still patrol cars approaching as the traffic was backing up. Still took another 1.5 hours to drive the 2 miles to make it off the freeway. It really doesn't help when some people decide they're more important than everyone else and can just drive up on the shoulder and expect to merge back into parked traffic. The honking and revving of engines don't make anyone want to let you in, either. It gets really bad when people are trying to bypass the traffic on both the left AND the right. It's lucky there weren't any secondary accidents because of the way people were behaving. My thoughts are with those involved. I do hope they're okay.

Ed Kimball

Tue, Dec 28, 2010 : 8:11 p.m.

I was driving east on Geddes between Earhart and US-23 just after 6 pm when an ambulance went past me westbound towards UM hospital. I got onto SB 23 and, just south of Huron River Drive, I saw more than a half dozen emergency vehicles blocking the NB side of the road. The police were in the process of blocking the NB entrances from Washtenaw onto 23. When I returned to the Washtenaw-23 interchange a little before 8 pm, both entrances to NB 23 were blocked and NB traffic was being forced off 23 onto EB Washtenaw.

Bear

Tue, Dec 28, 2010 : 7:44 p.m.

thanks to A2.com for a timely story and prayers for those involved and their families.

simone66

Tue, Dec 28, 2010 : 7:31 p.m.

I was driving SB US-23 at around 6:59 and the crash investigation team on the NB side was out there in full force. I hope no one died, but I also hope they figure out the cause of the accident and respond appropriately. There's no reason why in clear weather, why such a nasty accident should occur.

ypsicat

Tue, Dec 28, 2010 : 7:08 p.m.

The dispatcher must have meant to say WB I-94 from Michigan Ave to US-23. Prayers to all involved on this cold night.

mrk

Tue, Dec 28, 2010 : 6:30 p.m.

I saw a cop rushing down 94, presumably to get to that scene. Prayers from me too.

Craig Lounsbury

Tue, Dec 28, 2010 : 6:10 p.m.

prayers to those involved