Posted on Sat, Feb 5, 2011 : 3:24 p.m.

Crash in Brighton Township kills man from Whitmore Lake area

By Cindy Heflin

An 18-year-old man from Whitmore Lake was killed in a crash on I-96 at Grand River Avenue in Brighton Township Saturday morning, Michigan State Police said.

020511_fatal_crash.jpg

Rescue workers prepare to remove the car involved in a fatal crash on I-96 in Brighton Township Saturday.

Photo courtesy of Steven L. Rauch

The Chevrolet Cavalier the man was driving east on I-96 left the right side of the freeway about 7:10 a.m., hit a guardrail and snowbank, then became airborne, striking a cement bridge abutment and a utility pole, Michigan State Police from the Brighton post said in a press release.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene. Police said they were not releasing the name pending notification of family members.

Brighton police, the Brighton Fire Department, Livingston County emergency medical services personnel and Corrigan towing assisted state police at the crash scene.

Comments

jessica

Mon, Feb 7, 2011 : 12:44 a.m.

I will never forget all of the amazing memories i got to share with him. He was my one of my best friend's since 8th grade when he came to WL and we were just becoming closer and rebuilding our friendship. I will never be able to shake the moment i got the news and i there isn't a moment i don't think of him and there isn't an hour i don't cry about him. He was such an amazing, personal, touching guy. He was so dedicated to everyone he met, he had so much ahead of him. I will never be able to understand why he had to be taken away from us, but once i meet him in heaven im sure he will let me know.

stunhsif

Sun, Feb 6, 2011 : 1:24 a.m.

Just so very sad, our thoughts and prayers are with his family, especially his Mom and Dad.

futuramkid117

Sun, Feb 6, 2011 : 1:22 a.m.

Even though he was young he was one of my friends. I will always remember the fun times I had with him. :,(.

RJA

Sat, Feb 5, 2011 : 11:01 p.m.

It must have been a horrific scene. I am sad for the victim and family. 18 and so young, his family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Indicat

Sat, Feb 5, 2011 : 9:11 p.m.

So young....so sad. His family is in my prayers.