Posted on Fri, Dec 21, 2012 : 10:58 a.m.

Crashes slow traffic on M-14 in Ann Arbor area

By Cindy Heflin

Crashes were causing traffic slowdowns on M-14 in Ann Arbor and in Salem Township Friday morning.

crash_M14curtis.jpg

State police and Huron Valley Ambulance responded to the crash on M-14 near Curtis Road in Salem Township Friday morning

Kyle Mattson | AnnArbor.com

A vehicle was upside down in the ditch on the westbound side of the freeway east of Curtis Road in Salem Township, a passing motorist said. A Google traffic map showed a significant backup at 10:50 a.m. Friday.

Police were dealing with another crash on westbound M-14 at Main Street in Ann Arbor, a dispatcher with the Washtenaw County Sheriff’s Department said.

Further information was not immediately available.

The crashes came during a winter weather advisory issued by the National Weather Service that's in effect until midnight. Forecasters were expecting 1 to 2 inches of snow and winds gusting up to 45 mph. Motorists were advised to be prepared for slick roads and reduced visibility due to blowing snow.

View Crashes 122112 in a larger map

Comments

PineyWoodsGuy

Fri, Dec 21, 2012 : 7:16 p.m.

Diligent employees rushing to get to work on time, like lemmings rushing to the cliff. Same predictable result. Snow covering Ice. School children have snow days. With so much employee work being accomplished on computers, why not have "snow days" for employees? Let them work from their home computer. Or allow them to "bank" hours by working some 10 hour days in the non-Winter months. Aren't human beings smart enough to figure this out (farmers figured it out thousands of years ago).

Ann English

Fri, Dec 21, 2012 : 10:08 p.m.

I asked some other gym members if they used any expressway to get to our gym, and found one who said that US-23 and I-94 were fine; she lives on a road parallel to US-23. I was leaving the gym to get to an appointment. Many people were keeping appointments after I was done there, at 9:30; the winter weather advisory had been in effect for only a half hour.

Warbler

Fri, Dec 21, 2012 : 10:01 p.m.

Not sure i would be happy to know my Dr. at the U hospital is banking her hours on a day like today when I have a medical emergency. Far too many people must travel to work, regardless of conditions. Can you imagine grocery stores, gas stations, hospitals having snow days? Those of us who have the luxury of telecommuting are very fortunate. Those same people are equally fortunate that hospitals and all other service-related businesses are open today. They are open because people braved the storm. Ice is ice - Can't do anything about it, even when you are going slow.

tdw

Fri, Dec 21, 2012 : 4:23 p.m.

Well,I hate to say it but I'm quite surprised it took this long for accidents to start happening.I was looking for them at 6:30 - 7:00 am

Ann English

Fri, Dec 21, 2012 : 10:01 p.m.

When I heard that there would be a winter weather advisory starting at 9:00 A.M., I thought that the sooner a motorist was out on the roads, the better. I was NOT surprised at the time of day that accidents started happening. I kept hearing on the radio before leaving that there were no accidents to report on the freeways, not even on I-275. I was at M-14 and Main before 8:00 A.M. The roads just seemed wet. Main Street was wet but not slippery; everyone could climb its hills up to the stadium.

jcj

Fri, Dec 21, 2012 : 8:15 p.m.

Gotta agree tdw I looked at 8am expecting numerous reports.

Kyle Mattson

Fri, Dec 21, 2012 : 4:34 p.m.

tdw- The wind and snow didn't pick up until a bit later, when I was out on the roads I passed two other accidents besides the one pictured. With that said I also passed 4 county salt trucks on my commute (2 Wayne-2 Washtenaw) so hopefully combined with everyone slowing down a bit we'll have a safe day out there.