Crews extinguish dryer fire in Ann Arbor basement
A fire destroyed a dryer and damaged the ceiling of an Ann Arbor home before firefighters could extinguish it Thursday morning.
There were no injures.
Ann Arbor firefighters responded to the 300 block of Mark Hannah Place at 8:50 a.m. after receiving a call about smoke coming out of the side door of the single-family home, Battalion Chief Kevin Cook said.
The blaze was contained to the basement.
"There was a a dryer on fire, as well as the ceiling above it," Cook said. "We had it under control at 8:57 a.m."
Five minutes later, the fire was completely out, Cook added.
The dryer was destroyed and the basement suffered water damage. The floors above had smoke damage, Cook said. There was no estimate of how much damage the fire caused.
The residents and their dog got out of the house safely before fire crews arrived.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation, Cook said.