You are viewing this article in the AnnArbor.com archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see MLive.com/ann-arbor
Posted on Thu, Jan 10, 2013 : 12:23 p.m.

Crews extinguish dryer fire in Ann Arbor basement

By John Counts

A fire destroyed a dryer and damaged the ceiling of an Ann Arbor home before firefighters could extinguish it Thursday morning.

There were no injures.

Ann Arbor firefighters responded to the 300 block of Mark Hannah Place at 8:50 a.m. after receiving a call about smoke coming out of the side door of the single-family home, Battalion Chief Kevin Cook said.

The blaze was contained to the basement.

"There was a a dryer on fire, as well as the ceiling above it," Cook said. "We had it under control at 8:57 a.m."

Five minutes later, the fire was completely out, Cook added.

The dryer was destroyed and the basement suffered water damage. The floors above had smoke damage, Cook said. There was no estimate of how much damage the fire caused.

The residents and their dog got out of the house safely before fire crews arrived.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation, Cook said.


View Larger Map

John Counts covers cops and courts for AnnArbor.com. He can be reached at johncounts@annarbor.com or you can follow him on Twitter.

Comments

Ed Kimball

Fri, Jan 11, 2013 : 5:45 p.m.

"There were no injures." I'm glad. There wasn't any proofreading, either. I hope there were no "injuries", either.

CynicA2

Thu, Jan 10, 2013 : 8:59 p.m.

A lot of the smartest people in the state don't even know they have a lint filter, let alone that it might get clogged and cause a fire (one of the most common causes).

actionjackson

Thu, Jan 10, 2013 : 6:04 p.m.

I hope this isn't a case of plastic venting. Even the flexible aluminum will gather lint. Best to use 4" solid vent tube. If one has plastic they should immediately remove it and use metal.

justcurious

Thu, Jan 10, 2013 : 6:44 p.m.

And clean out the lint trap regularly.