Posted on Mon, Dec 5, 2011 : 9:56 a.m.

62-year-old woman punched on Spring Street in Ann Arbor

By Lee Higgins

A 62-year-old Ann Arbor woman was punched in the head by a man while she was walking Sunday night in the 700 block of Spring Street, Ann Arbor police said.

About 7 p.m., the woman was walking past the man and smiled at him, when he punched her once in the head, police spokeswoman Lt. Renee Bush said.

The woman fell to the ground, started screaming, then got up and ran to her friend's house, where she had been heading for dinner, Bush said. Another person in the area dialed 911.

Bush said the man didn't say anything prior to the assault. He was described as black, 5 feet, 9 inches tall and 190 pounds. He was in his 20s and was wearing dark clothing, including a baseball jacket, Bush said.

Anyone with information can call the police department's tip line at (734) 794-6939.

Comments

Tru2Blu76

Thu, Dec 8, 2011 : 1:15 a.m.

Just trying to clarify one point which seems to confuse some people: The police and courts usually do not take into account such things as "provocation" when dealing with assailants. The basic point of law is that it's illegal to commit physical assault but legal to use force to defend oneself. The person who throws the first punch or kick or otherwise strikes the first blow is the guilty one. Re: another point which seems to confuse people: age of the victim IS a factor. Taking as examples 65 year-olds who win marathons is ridiculous because it's a "fact" not properly applied. For every 65 year-old marathoner, there are ninety-nine 65 year olds with arthritis, osteoporosis or heart disease. Assaults on people past 55 years of age are far more dangerous to life and limb. Any society which dismisses older people is headed downhill - steeply down hill. Any individuals who think they can assault an older person with impunity had better not try it on me: they'll get to briefly see the wrong end of my Glock pistol just before they meet Saint Peter.

omniskeptic

Wed, Dec 7, 2011 : 8:06 p.m.

But the story doesn't tell us HOW the woman greeted the subject. Was she sincere? Sarcastic? Condescending? Why aren't we being given all the details? How can we rush to judgement if we don't have enough information to form a preconceived notion? Not that that's stopped anybody before, I realize.

dogpaddle

Tue, Dec 6, 2011 : 6:14 p.m.

I'm with Surlycommenter. 62 does not imply "elderly" nor a "granny". I'm not 62 yet or even 60, but we will all be there someday (hopefully). Some 60+ are wild and single. Some can outrun and outswim most of you couch commenters on here. In case some of you missed last Friday's Extreme Makeover (you can still watch the tear-jerking 2 part episode on On Demand or online at abc.go.com and I encourage everyone to do it ASAP to stop bullying now!) on bullying, words do matter. I'm really surprised at a2.com for not deleting last week's comments that referred to those who earned their pensions as "greedy geezers". "Geezer" was just one of hundreds of words used on a segment of the show as an example words that shouldn't be used. Think before you speak, people!

SurlyCommenter

Tue, Dec 6, 2011 : 3:34 p.m.

1. 62 is not elderly. 2. Commenters should remember one of the most important lessons of statistics class: Correlation does NOT imply causation.

RJA

Tue, Dec 6, 2011 : 4:29 a.m.

Never smile at anyone passing on the street after dark. Some dudes don't like friendly people.

snapshot

Tue, Dec 6, 2011 : 1:49 a.m.

Folks here need to get a clue about safety. Your chances of being run over by a distracted driver or maimed in a traffic accident of some kind are far greater than becoming a crime victim. Several bicyclists have been killed, pedestrians killed, overturned vehicles, semi crashes, and folks are worried about a few crime incidents that are minor in comparison to being killed or maimed forever. There apparently is no correlation between perception and reality.

Ricebrnr

Tue, Dec 6, 2011 : 6:33 p.m.

Wrong, I have more control over my victim selection process by a goon than I have over lady luck and a distracted or drunk driver. WE control what we can...

justcurious

Tue, Dec 6, 2011 : 4:54 p.m.

and you have the clue to bestow upon us? sheesh.

Tom Todd

Tue, Dec 6, 2011 : 1:15 a.m.

I would have a hard time not getting physical with this person/respect your elders

Peacemaker

Mon, Dec 5, 2011 : 9:41 p.m.

The "subculture" again, but -- like the pachdrmin the prlor -- we are forbidden by the "guidelines" to mention it by name.

Robert Granville

Mon, Dec 5, 2011 : 7:44 p.m.

Hold your judgment people. We'll have to wait a week or so to see if she's telling the truth.

Robert Granville

Mon, Dec 5, 2011 : 9:30 p.m.

Haha. I wasn't making an age comment. A few false assault stories have appeared on AnnArbor.com in recent days. Unfortunately, locals have been filing quite a few false police reports in quick succession.

djm12652

Mon, Dec 5, 2011 : 8:56 p.m.

really...can't trust anyone over the age of 60...oh wait...I was having a flashback and it was over the age of 30....45-50 years ago...

cibachrome

Mon, Dec 5, 2011 : 7:37 p.m.

There are only two realistc possibilities for solving this problem, but Ann Arborites and their police are surely not courageous enough to implement either of them: 1) Set up police decoys acting as elderly and catch them in the act. 2) Vigilante Neighborhood Watch groups with eyes and ears open to care for their neighbors and pedestrians, maybe even detaining the assailant. Instead, a predictable response: some government official will post something on Craigslist or a kiosk asking the perpetrator to turn themsleves in to the police or their pastor for questioning about motives. You're all sheep.

Ricebrnr

Tue, Dec 6, 2011 : 6:31 p.m.

I disagree, the typical response is "baaaaahh" and back to grazing...

Michigan Man

Mon, Dec 5, 2011 : 10:25 p.m.

Concealed carry would be a very positive, much needed remedy to this neighborhood nuisance!

djm12652

Mon, Dec 5, 2011 : 8:55 p.m.

the typical a2 response..."wh..aa..aa..aa...t?

alarictoo

Mon, Dec 5, 2011 : 7:36 p.m.

Let's see if re-wording my previously removed post helps... Remember not to show your teeth when smiling at those you pass on the street. Many animals will take that as a sign of aggression, and will attack. ;^)

xmo

Mon, Dec 5, 2011 : 6:46 p.m.

I wonder if the man was upset because seniors are not paying their "Fair Share" of the tax burden?

Smart Logic

Mon, Dec 5, 2011 : 7:21 p.m.

Lame attempt at an OWS plug.

Frankyhollywood68

Mon, Dec 5, 2011 : 6:18 p.m.

I remember when Millor Manor was a senior Living complex...there has to be some connection. Because that area otherwise,for the most part, is safe. But it does sound like the Crotch grabber guy....

justcurious

Mon, Dec 5, 2011 : 4:50 p.m.

Unbelievable as this may sound, while ushering an event last Saturday night I met a fellow usher of about that age and we began to talk. The conversation led to her telling me that she walks everywhere in Ann Arbor and she would be walking home after the program. I asked her if she was worried because of the stories on aa.com . She said she didn't read aa.com but stated that she felt safe because of her age. I suppose she knew of the rapes. I encouraged her to be very aware and keep her head on the swivel, so to speak. She lives on Spring Street. I don't know her last name. It worries me.

snapshot

Tue, Dec 6, 2011 : 1:52 a.m.

So dude, just tell everyone about a vulnerable woman and her foot traffic patterns. You even give the day and time of her habits. What's wrong with you?

justcurious

Mon, Dec 5, 2011 : 5:30 p.m.

Sorry, I met this woman on Friday night, not Saturday night.

Michigan Man

Mon, Dec 5, 2011 : 4:47 p.m.

What happened to the West Side of Ann Arbor? I thought all the cool people lived on that side of town, not the criminals?

pbehjatnia

Tue, Dec 6, 2011 : 2:31 a.m.

you are so right, dude. cool people live here. this loser prolly rode his bike over from burns park.

Billy Bob Schwartz

Mon, Dec 5, 2011 : 4:59 p.m.

MM...Unfortunately, most criminals have legs to walk with, and also cars and buses to get them into neighborhoods where they can attack women. I hope that one of these days this person runs into a elderly woman with karate training and gets his rear end handed to him. If I were such a woman, I think I would walk those streets until he attacked me, just for the fun of it.

bunnyabbot

Mon, Dec 5, 2011 : 4:39 p.m.

I will say if this is the same perp as crotch grabber, head puncher is likely to escalate and sounds like an Ervin Mitchell in the making. A serial rapist or two with random assaults on grannies walking down the street (and other places in town), no, no I don't feel as safe as I did a few years ago.

smokeblwr

Mon, Dec 5, 2011 : 4:37 p.m.

Lesson: Don't be nice to people.

pbehjatnia

Mon, Dec 5, 2011 : 4:21 p.m.

i am comfortable with our anorexic police force. aren't you? because violent crime has not gone up in the wake of the massive cuts nor will it.

pbehjatnia

Tue, Dec 6, 2011 : 2:29 a.m.

@djm: you are preaching to the choir here!

djm12652

Mon, Dec 5, 2011 : 8:53 p.m.

@pbehjatnia...if the thugs that have taken up in our town were a little more concerned with a more visible [ie larger staff] of law enforcement they wouldn't be so confident in getting away with just about anything....that being said...I'm glad I'm a heartless conservative who won't even give up the time of day! And btw I'm a very happy grandmother...just not nice to scum!

pbehjatnia

Mon, Dec 5, 2011 : 7:46 p.m.

@nvagain: rationale is that violent crime has gone up in ann arbor since the reductions that have left our pd depleted. if there is more presence there is simply less crime.

nvragain

Mon, Dec 5, 2011 : 4:44 p.m.

This comment might be better suited for a crime that appears not to be completely random. No matter the size of the police force, you cannot stop a person who hits a 62 year old woman walking down a street in a neighborhood, nor will you ever be able to protect every citizen in vulnerable situations. We should hire a dozens of officers for every neighborhood in Ann Arbor, because with your rationale, the crime rate would dip to zero!

Paula Gardner

Mon, Dec 5, 2011 : 4:20 p.m.

Here is the story on that previous assault. We are asking police if they believe they're connected. They do sound similar (at least to me). <a href="http://annarbor.com/news/crime/woman-sexually-assaulted-while-walking-in-ann-arbor/">http://annarbor.com/news/crime/woman-sexually-assaulted-while-walking-in-ann-arbor/</a>

bunnyabbot

Mon, Dec 5, 2011 : 4:29 p.m.

in the same neighborhood no less, at least I consider them the same neighborhood

bunnyabbot

Mon, Dec 5, 2011 : 4:17 p.m.

is this the same discription as the crouch grabber last week?