Posted on Thu, Jul 25, 2013 : 2:57 p.m.

Ann Arbor woman tells U-M police she was sexually assaulted by man visiting campus

By John Counts

062310_BIZ_North_Quad_MRM_0 (1)A.JPG

U-M police are investigating a sexual assault reported at North Quad.

AnnArbor.com

A 22-year-old Ann Arbor woman told police Wednesday she was sexually assaulted by a 34-year-old out-of-state man who was staying on the University of Michigan campus while attending a conference, officials said.

The alleged incident occurred around 2:30 a.m. July 17 at the North Quadrangle Residential and Academic Complex, at 105 S. State St., according to U-M police spokeswoman Diane Brown.

The man met the woman off campus and brought her back to his room at North Quad where the alleged sexual assault took police, Brown said.

It is being investigated as third-degree criminal sexual conduct, which involves sexual penetration of some kind.

Investigators believe the man has left town. It was not known why the woman didn't immediately report the incident, according to police. She is not a U-M student.

The case is still open and under investigation.

John Counts covers cops and courts for AnnArbor.com. He can be reached at johncounts@annarbor.com or you can follow him on Twitter.

Comments

Widow Wadman

Fri, Jul 26, 2013 : 1:39 p.m.

annarbor.com should be able to delete whichever comments that the editors wish to delete simply because this is a privately run website. People don't have to look to annarbor.com as source of news if they think the content of stories is too slanted or that the editing of comments is too heavy handed. Sometimes the comments regarding crime victims are edited out when only a small proportion of the public would consider the comments to be attacking the victim. I found Matt's commenting style aggressive and have no objection to his comments being edited out.

Widow Wadman

Fri, Jul 26, 2013 : 6:39 p.m.

It seems to me there is an ongoing coversation on annarbor.com regarding commenting policies and decisions to delete comments, a conversation to which until today I hadn't contributed. Today was the first time that I was truly disgusted by a comment on this website. I found Matt's approach to be volatile. I'm glad that his comment was deleted, and I'm sorry that a young woman was sexually assaulted.

KMHall

Fri, Jul 26, 2013 : 6:34 p.m.

craigjjs Many of us appreciate the efforts of AA.com to err on the side of civility and sensitivity. The deleted population is getting a free education. They can always try again using different language.

SqueegeeBeckenheim

Fri, Jul 26, 2013 : 6:33 p.m.

Craigjjs, I understand where you're coming from, but I'd be hesitant to engage with a publisher or community that embraced the victim blaming side of rape culture at all as part of the "culture" of their commenting policies. And again, those were the comments that got deleted.

craigjjs

Fri, Jul 26, 2013 : 5:58 p.m.

While aa.com IS able to delete whichever comments that the editors wish. Comment policies reflect the culture of the publisher and, to a degree, the community. I see nothing wrong with having a conversation about comment policies to allow the editors to reconsider those cultures and policies. 'Love it or leave it' is never a compelling philosophy.

GoNavy

Fri, Jul 26, 2013 : 10:52 a.m.

The reality is that, if AnnArbor.com doesn't want to tolerate people's opinions on this story, commenting should be disabled. Any thread where there are as many removals as there are comments warrants this sort of action. Removing so many comments serves only to give the impression that AnnArbor.com is pushing one version of a story (any story, not just this one) over another and takes away - if only a little bit - from AA.com's credibility in the online community.

KMHall

Fri, Jul 26, 2013 : 6:32 p.m.

GoNavy Read Squeegee again. Appropriately entering into a public conversation requires subtle discernment and some people are still early on the learning curve. Get deleted and try saying things differently or examine your sentiments. I'm sure there are websites that accept all sorts of comments. Thank you AA.com.

craigjjs

Fri, Jul 26, 2013 : 5:54 p.m.

It is always interesting to see the contrasts in newspaper commenting policies. I read hamptonroads.com daily because I am from Virginia Beach. Anything vaguely resembling a personal attack of another poster is deleted and a stern warning sent. Here, there is more focus on crime victims. The New York Times requires pre-clearance of all comments. The Washington Post is the wild west. The Guardian (UK) has no restrictions on 'bad words' but clamps down on anything with vaguely violent content. I guess it is a reflection of each publication's culture.

Ypsi Russell

Fri, Jul 26, 2013 : 3:20 p.m.

I agree with Squeegee's points

Ivor Ivorsen

Fri, Jul 26, 2013 : 1:41 p.m.

Very well said SqueegeeBeckenheim.

SqueegeeBeckenheim

Fri, Jul 26, 2013 : 1:07 p.m.

The only comments I've seen get removed are those that, in one way or another, find ways to blame the victim here. AA.com is absolutely not losing any credibility for deleting those comments, and I highly praise them for doing so. It is absolutely disgusting to read victim-blamey comments on other more widely known news sites, and I'm glad I live in a place where a major news outlet will take a stand against this. If any comment in any way implies one of the following: - this woman waited too long to report this and so maybe she's lying - this woman should have known that going to this man's room with him meant sex was inevitable so maybe she's lying and she really wanted it - this woman shouldn't have put herself in this situation if she didn't want to be assaulted (among others) then the "opinion" of the commenter is invalid, hurtful, wrong, and not adding anything to the discussion. You can have opinions here, but don't be misogynistic. What is sad is that even in a well-educated and liberal place like Ann Arbor, I can see that comments were deleted on a story reporting a sexual assault case and guess what they were about.

Blue Marker

Fri, Jul 26, 2013 : 11:07 a.m.

Well said, I couldn't agree more. They offer a forum for discussion and then discourage it greatly. What are they afraid of?

Paul

Fri, Jul 26, 2013 : 1 a.m.

Why wait a full week to report it ? What happen between them since the 17th ? We only heard from one side, I like to keep an open mind until more investigation happens.

Solipsist

Tue, Jul 30, 2013 : 12:53 a.m.

Squeegee...You're a great person; well stated. Thank you for existing.

SqueegeeBeckenheim

Fri, Jul 26, 2013 : 1:15 p.m.

There are many many reasons why a victim of sexual assault may wait to report the incident. You have to remember that assault is a very traumatic experience - some people say that reporting their rape or assault is the last thing on their minds after it happens. Some people are afraid the police won't take it seriously. Some are afraid they will somehow get in trouble and be blamed for it (gee - we've seen none of that around here, have we?/sarcasm). Some are afraid that their lives and personal issues will be scrutinized in an investigation. All very valid concerns. Of course, it is important that sexual assault victims report their assaults right away, for their own benefit, and to move along investigation of the crime. All we can do is be supportive of victims and make sure they don't feel scared or ashamed in their own communities to report these things. And of course we don't really know what happened in this case yet, but the kind of speculation we've seen around here in the comments hasn't been helpful.

JBK

Fri, Jul 26, 2013 : 1:52 a.m.

Paul - At this point it becomes a moot point. Any physical evidence (i.e. DNA is gone). Now it becomes a he says she says and it will go nowhere. The woman should have reported it immediately.

JBK

Fri, Jul 26, 2013 : 12:22 a.m.

I need some help here from the readers! - is this NOT a residence dorm? If yes, then how did this 34 yearold creap get in? - the article states that he brought the female with him from an off campus location. How did they get into the residence hall? - the article also states that he was staying at this residence hall. Do they rent out for short term rentals (i.e. bed and breakfest). NONE of this adds up

Ypsi Russell

Fri, Jul 26, 2013 : 3:19 p.m.

Age discrimination is the only kind that is still considered acceptable by otherwise "non-judgmental" people (and I'm thankful for that)

MathGeek

Fri, Jul 26, 2013 : 11:23 a.m.

How does UofM have zero connection to this story?! It happened in North Quad.

Basic Bob

Fri, Jul 26, 2013 : 1:03 a.m.

@Halter, The U-M police are investigating a crime reported within their jurisdiction. I think that is an integral part of the story. Had it happened at a flop house in Ypsilanti, the story would likely include a statement from that city's police department. Conference attendees go to the facilities provided by the organizer, which in this case rented facilities at U-M. Thank goodness they still allow people to report crimes.

JBK

Fri, Jul 26, 2013 : 12:45 a.m.

Halter - thanks! You did a better job than the journalist who wrote this piece!:)

Halter

Fri, Jul 26, 2013 : 12:36 a.m.

Yes, during the summer the U sponsors conferences and dorms are used as lie cost "hotel" rooms... This is not new, they've been doing it since the 50's... Had the article been better written for people to understand, there would have been no implied UM connection to this.... 34 year old guy picked up a 22 year townie and brought her back to his "hotel" room. UM has zero connection to his story.

KateT

Thu, Jul 25, 2013 : 10:55 p.m.

In the very old days, this would never have happened because they wouldn't have been unsupervised in a dorm room at 2:30 am. Should we go back to those days? I don't know.

alan

Sat, Jul 27, 2013 : 12:19 a.m.

He was lodged while attending a conference. Nobody is supervising people who rent rooms.

Peter

Fri, Jul 26, 2013 : 3:21 p.m.

I hate to break it to you MathGeek, but that wasn't a documentary.

MathGeek

Fri, Jul 26, 2013 : 11:21 a.m.

KateT, how 'very old' are you talking? Have you seen the seen in The Patriot where the girl is sleeping next to the character played by Heath Ledger and is literally sown into a bag? The girl's father is outside the room in the hall trying to listen through the door and the girl's mother says, 'Don't worry, I sow better than my mother.' I'm sure even back in the 'very old days' girls found ways of sneaking boys in, boys found ways of sneaking girls in, and boys and girls found ways of sneaking boys and girls in (I think that's every possibility). This lady was a victim (allegedly), and that's the end of the blame game.

seldon

Thu, Jul 25, 2013 : 11:53 p.m.

Also: you actually think nobody got raped back then? That's unlikely to be true, to put it as politely as possible.

seldon

Thu, Jul 25, 2013 : 11:51 p.m.

I know: absolutely not. They're adults.

seldon

Thu, Jul 25, 2013 : 8:24 p.m.

I hope that people wake up and realize that it's not okay to rape other people, even if they've come back to your room at 2:30 to watch infomercials on TV. Welcome to planet earth, that's not acceptable conduct, never has been, and never will be. It's time to get a clue and STOP RAPING PEOPLE.

Solipsist

Tue, Jul 30, 2013 : 12:51 a.m.

THANK YOU!!! It's heartbreaking to see you got 9 anonymous down-votes by people who do not agree that it's NOT okay to rape people NO MATTER WHAT! How can anyone not agree with your post and still look themselves in the mirror???

SqueegeeBeckenheim

Fri, Jul 26, 2013 : 1:18 p.m.

Thank you for your comment and I commend you on your takedown of matt1027! I made an account on here just to call him out for his victim-blamey comment and wonder why on earth AA.com was allowing that to remain up. Turns out they got to it right before I did!

seldon

Fri, Jul 26, 2013 : 2:54 a.m.

matt1027, you have an anger management problem. I'd suggest you do something about that. I didn't delete your post. I personally would have let it stand. It's one thing to talk about tactics to increase personal safety, but it's quite another to ignore the fact that, as a society, we tend to place all of the blame on the victim rather than on the scum who commit rapes. I'm kind of amused by your (very wrong) assumptions about me, and about my experiences, but since the moderators will probably delete your post - again, not at my request - there's no point. Incidentally, I didn't misspell anything. You, however, need a proofreader.

Widow Wadman

Thu, Jul 25, 2013 : 8:26 p.m.

Thanks for responding in kind to Matt.

actionjackson

Thu, Jul 25, 2013 : 7:49 p.m.

I do hope that this incident is fully investigated and the person responsible for the truth of this matter is convicted.

Solipsist

Tue, Jul 30, 2013 : 12:48 a.m.

I see what you did there