Case against EMU basketball player dismissed
This story has been corrected to show that the court case against Glenn Bryant has been dismissed and not bound over for trial.
Charges were dismissed Tuesday against the Eastern Michigan University basketball player accused of choking his girlfriend following an argument last month.
Glenn Bryant, 22, appeared in court for a preliminary exam Tuesday morning, according to court records. Lee Schmidt, Bryant's attorney, said Thursday the case was dismissed after the witness in the case did not show up at the hearing.
AnnArbor.com originally reported Thursday morning Bryant's case was bound over for a pretrial hearing. Court officials confirmed that court records at the Washtenaw County Trial Court showing that a pretrial hearing had been scheduled were incorrect. Officials confirmed the case against Bryant was dismissed Tuesday.
Bryant faced a felony charge of assault by strangulation and a misdemeanor aggravated domestic violence charge. He was arrested April 22 at the Peninsular Place apartments after he was accused of choking his 19-year-old girlfriend during an argument.
The Eagles' second-leading scorer joined the team after transferring from Arkansas in 2011. The 2012-13 season was Bryant's first with EMU and he started 30 of 34 games, averaging 27.4 minutes a game and 10.6 points per game.
Police said Bryant and his girlfriend frequently argued and the argument prior to his arrest was not out of the ordinary. The two have been dating for about a year.
Bryant was free on bond and was suspended from the basketball team until his case concluded.