Posted on Thu, Oct 27, 2011 : 2:08 p.m.

Driver hits U-M student, leaves scene

By Lee Higgins

A University of Michigan student suffered minor injuries Wednesday night after she was struck by a car that left the scene, university police said.

At 8:44 p.m., the student was walking in a crosswalk near the intersection of Geddes and Washtenaw avenues when she was hit by what witnesses described as an older model Volkswagen, police said.

The female driver stopped, then drove off, police spokeswoman Diane Brown said. A witness helped the victim to her feet. Brown did not have further details this afternoon. She said police continue to investigate the accident.

Anyone with information can call police at (734) 763-1131.

Comments

M.

Sat, Oct 29, 2011 : 7:23 p.m.

I walk everywhere I go in Ypsi and Ann Arbor. I know full well how tricky it is sometimes crossing certain kinds of roads, and I know how careful to be. You NEVER ever expect a car to stop for you - you have to assume they do not see you if you want to eliminate risk. The new law everyone is trying to blame this on was not meant to encourage more pedestrians to demand their right of way and cross, it is intended to make the DRIVERS more aware to reduce the risk we already had. Many crosswalks are set up where drivers on the road with the green light can make a turn onto the road with the red light where pedestrians are crossing. I usually don't look around 360 degrees before crossing when I have a walk signal telling me to go. As careful and aware as I am, I've almost been hit many, many times this way.

RoboLogic

Sat, Oct 29, 2011 : 5:59 p.m.

The people of Boulder, Colorado stop for pedestrians in their specially designated crosswalks. Can we obtain the compliance that the drivers of Boulder exhibit? Or are Michigan drivers just too selfish? I spent 4 days in Boulder last month and saw NOBODY violate any of the many pedestrian crosswalks I encountered. I asked my sister why compliance is so high...she said>>> "1) the fines are very high for violations, 2) other motorists will report you and the Police WILL follow up , and 3) Its a Boulder thing."

Chris 8 - YPSI PRIDE

Fri, Oct 28, 2011 : 11:33 p.m.

What happened eye contact ? I've have yet to see anyone mention this at all, in regards to this sensless and dangerous ordinance. This was one of the first things I was taught after balancing myself for the first time on a bicycle. If one is walking and they do not make eye contact with the driver of a car and walk in front of it there is no challenge. Car wins. Also as a Driver, I remember the manual talking about eye contact with pedestrians. This is a matter of common sense on both parties. especially when driving in an area where buildings suddenly appear to be taller then lets say 3 stories and are very close to each other in large numbers. That means a downtown area and pedestrians. I would not expect a pedestrian to walk out in front of me at lets say Eisenhower and State with me having the green light, but at Packard and State I would be on the look out even if I did have the green light. Drivers hold some responsibility in observing the surroundings they are driving in. I think this all boils down to making sure eye contact is made by both parties and if I am a pedestrian and not 100% sure the driver sees me, I am not stepping in front of a moving vehicle just because I have the legal right of way. Not even a police officer standing right there watching would be able to help me if the vehicle hit me and cripples or kills me.

a2gerry

Fri, Oct 28, 2011 : 8:50 p.m.

These comments, against the crossing ordinance, are sounding more and more like they come form people from the suburbs of Detroit, where the car is supreme. I have personally stood at marked crosswalks here and raised my arms in protest as cars speed by: too busy driving and talking on their cells phones to stop for a few seconds to let a pedestrian cross. If it bothers you so much to stop for a pedestrian, go move to the suburbs around Detroit. I can assure you, you will feel like a king in your car. You can just forget about pedestrians and rule supreme. For me I prefer a city that respects pedestrians and cyclists alike and places the car in a subordinate position. Cities should be designed around people not the automobile. As far as the crosswalks being marked. I suggest you speeding cell phone drivers actually look at all the signs the city has posted at crosswalks denoting that cars have to stop by city law. I sure can see them while I'm walking.

Sallyxyz

Fri, Oct 28, 2011 : 1:50 p.m.

I have no idea what happened at this intersection, but leaving the scene of an accident you have caused is a crime. I will add, however, that some students around campus areas step out in front of cars at all times of day and night with a sense of entitlement that they can cross streets anywhere without looking, etc., and cars are expected to swerve, stop and slam on the brakes at short distances. I've seen plenty of near misses. Again, I don't know the details of this accident, but leaving the scene is a crime and I hope they catch and prosecute the perp.

1bit

Fri, Oct 28, 2011 : 3:11 a.m.

I'm not a fan of the ordinance, but this is a hit and run folks. The student was in the crosswalk, the driver stopped but then left the scene. Every one us knows you can't leave the scene even if it is not your fault. Wish the student well and save the vitriol for ordinance for another topic or for the City Council.

McFly

Fri, Oct 28, 2011 : 12:08 a.m.

The total lack of pedestrian lighting makes night driving around town a nightmare for cars and dangerous for your pedestrians; the city would be so much more pedestrian friendly if they made some attempt to illuminate the people using the crosswalks and sidewalks. I wouldn't call using oncoming cars headlights to see pedestrians very safe for anyone; the current ambient lighting is so dim that pedestrians can't be seen until they are well off the curb and into the street. Buy more lights, not more art. By FANCY lights and call them art, if you will. I'm talking about bright lighting, not the skinny blue line of light that crosses Plymouth road. C'mon Ann Arbor and university, be responsible for your share in this pedestrian safety initiative and light up the area so we can ALL walk and drive safely around here.

quetzalcoatl

Fri, Oct 28, 2011 : 12:05 a.m.

Common sense has never been a prerequisite to attendance at the University of Michigan.

xmo

Thu, Oct 27, 2011 : 9:50 p.m.

Thank Goodness we have the new pedestrian safety law so that things like this don't happen!

hypsi

Thu, Oct 27, 2011 : 9:23 p.m.

I hope the student gets checked out, sometimes issues don't start to appear until later. (I speak from experience, was hit by a car two weeks ago and kidney problems are just now showing up.)

mireader

Thu, Oct 27, 2011 : 9:01 p.m.

I thought the new law applied to crosswalks that aren't controlled by stop signs or traffic lights already. I have no idea what happened in this situation, but I can see where a driver wouldn't expect a pedestrian to pop into the street when the light is green expecting traffic to stop.

Mike

Thu, Oct 27, 2011 : 7:41 p.m.

Hey, I got an idea. Let's pass an ordinance in violation of the Michigan Motor vehicle code. Then, since we have no money we won't post any signs. we'll expect out of towners to know the ordnance, and the only people that will be hurt will be the pedestrians.

A2comments

Fri, Oct 28, 2011 : 11:07 a.m.

I bet the student had no clue about the new law. I guarantee you that the vast majority of pedestrians in Ann Arbor have no idea about this law...

james

Thu, Oct 27, 2011 : 9:13 p.m.

Ron, There seems to be this culture of students and residents in Ann Arbor to not pay attention to light signals and just cross. I've asked a few people that I know why they do this and they all told me the same thing: "we have the right of way.". I can't even drive through town without people walking in front of me. This creates an unsafe environment for both driver and pedestrian and if I accidentally hit someone, it's not my fault. If I slam on my breaks and get rear-ended, I also have to pay and the pedestrian can just leave even though it is their fault. Yet, no cop will give jay walkers tickets. I thought this law was about making the city a safer place when it just seems like a way to punish drivers. What do you expect from a city that spends $500,000 art installation and cuts funding for the police and fire.

clara

Thu, Oct 27, 2011 : 8:52 p.m.

Ron, every intersection is NOT a crosswalk. Many Ann Arbor intersections purposefully have the sidewalks end before coming to the street and do not have those little red bumps and are not a place for peds to cross

Ron Granger

Thu, Oct 27, 2011 : 8:13 p.m.

You can't put signs everywhere. Every intersection is a crosswalk. Hey, I got an idea. How about drivers yield to pedestrians. How about drivers not commit hit and runs after running down pedestrians.

djm12652

Thu, Oct 27, 2011 : 7:28 p.m.

Hope the injured student is ok. Question...was this crosswalk on Washtenaw or Geddes or perhaps a side street near that intersection. It doesn't say AT the intersection but near it...so exactly where did this happen so possible witnesses may come forward.

Atticus F.

Thu, Oct 27, 2011 : 7:27 p.m.

In the last month that this "Pedestrian Safety" ordinance has passed, I have seen several near collisions, and several other pedestrians almost flattened to a pulp because one car stopped in a 2 lane road and another car didn't... Both times the pedestrian walk into the road in front of the first driver (who did stop), and then as the were walking into the second lane they almost walked right into a car going 40mph(who didn't stop). Maybe the city of A2 can engrave "He had the right of way!" on the tombstone of the next person who is killed by this law.

Ron Granger

Thu, Oct 27, 2011 : 9:44 p.m.

"Ron, I'm blaming the poorly planned law for encouraging people to foolishly to walk out in front of moving vehicles..." The law does no such thing.

cinnabar7071

Thu, Oct 27, 2011 : 9:13 p.m.

Atticus I dont normally agree with you, but you are spot on, and its only a matter of time before someone is killed. You dont walk out into traffic without looking, this is a no brainer, you will lose and as Atticus stated we can make it all better by placing "He had the right of way!" on the tombstone. As someone who nearly killed a woman and her dog in one of these crosswalks I say it will happen!

Atticus F.

Thu, Oct 27, 2011 : 8:20 p.m.

Ron, I'm blaming the poorly planned law for encouraging people to foolishly to walk out in front of moving vehicles... Also, drivers in hit and runs are often scared...But I'm not in a position to speculate as to weather or not they were drunk in this incident. And I dont really think you are in a position speculate either.

Ron Granger

Thu, Oct 27, 2011 : 8:10 p.m.

I think you are blaming the victim for exercising their rights. This was a hit and run. Drivers in hit and runs are often intoxicated.

Atticus F.

Thu, Oct 27, 2011 : 8:01 p.m.

There is some truth to that statement, Ron... However, I think your missing the big picture; which is that this law is giving people a potentially fatal false sense of security.

Ron Granger

Thu, Oct 27, 2011 : 7:52 p.m.

But in this case the first car stopped. The pedestrian was already in the street, not approaching.

Atticus F.

Thu, Oct 27, 2011 : 7:42 p.m.

Ron Granger, yes I was aware...Maybe you are not aware that our wording includes the terminology "aproaching a crosswalk". Which means that as someone could easily be walking towards the crosswalk, expecting the car to yeild, and then steping in front of a driver that was not expecting it.

Ron Granger

Thu, Oct 27, 2011 : 7:36 p.m.

Apparently you weren't aware, but drivers were required to stop before this new law was passed. That part has not changed.

RJA

Thu, Oct 27, 2011 : 7:19 p.m.

I hope someone got a plate number, when you hit a person, you don't just stop then drive off. I hope the student is really OK. Glad the Police will continue to investigate.

Atticus F.

Thu, Oct 27, 2011 : 7:13 p.m.

Also, when this ordinance was first proposed, I made a comment that it was only a matter of time before someone was injured or killed in the name of the 'public transportation NIMBY crowd'...Told ya so!!! I'm just thankful nobody was killed. And hopefully the city doesn't get sued...

Carly

Sat, Oct 29, 2011 : 5:28 a.m.

considering no fault is being phased out by insurance companies and lawyers, Ann arbor will have a lot more TBI victims walking the streets.

Atticus F.

Thu, Oct 27, 2011 : 7:10 p.m.

To qoute Sabra Breire after the first accident related to the new pedestrian safety ordinance, although I dont really remember her exact quote but it was something like this; "Neither one of the people involved was from Ann Arbor, so it's to be expected".

umfanchris

Thu, Oct 27, 2011 : 7:08 p.m.

Really it doesn't matter if the person was jay walking or not. Leaving the scene of an accident is punishable up to 1 year in prison and $1,000.00 fine even if the accident isn't your fault.

james

Thu, Oct 27, 2011 : 9:02 p.m.

"Really it doesn't matter if the person was jay walking or not." True, but it is kind of biased of the city to have a law targeting unsafe drivers, yet it's part of the culture of many AA pedestrians to jaywalk and ignore light signals (and cops don't care).

leezee

Thu, Oct 27, 2011 : 8 p.m.

Wasn't my point to say the driver was not responsible. They should be found and prosecuted. For purposes of the crosswalk debate, it would be nice to know the circumstances.

leezee

Thu, Oct 27, 2011 : 6:59 p.m.

Considering the recent crosswalk hoopla, would it be possible to tell us more detail. From the picture that comes up on the map for the link to that intersection, that is a lighted intersection. I am not placing blame at all. I just want to know if the student was crossing with or against the light if, in fact, it was a lighted crosswalk.

Wolf's Bane

Thu, Oct 27, 2011 : 6:48 p.m.

Was the victim jay walking? I believe that the reasonably priced pedestrian safety ordinance doesn't cover jay walking, correct?

Wolf's Bane

Fri, Oct 28, 2011 : 12:56 p.m.

Give her a ticket then!

Atticus F.

Thu, Oct 27, 2011 : 7:15 p.m.

From what I've read of the article, she was crossing at a designated crosswalk.