Posted on Tue, Jan 29, 2013 : 6:29 p.m.

Former U-M student gets 20-60 years in killing of mentally ill mother

By AnnArbor.com Staff

Jeffrey Pyne, the former University of Michigan student convicted of bludgeoning his mentally ill mother to death, was sentenced Tuesday to 20 to 60 years in prison, the Detroit Free Press reports.

Police said Pyne, 23, beat and stabbed 51-year-old Ruth Pyne in the garage of the family's Highland Township home in May 2011. Prosecutors said Jeffrey Pyne was angry about his mother's mental illness.

Pyne again pleaded his innocence at the sentencing hearing, according to the Free Press, and asked for leniency. His father read a letter from Pyne's younger sister during the hearing, asking for her brother to come home soon.

Read the full Detroit Free Press report.

Comments

JGTRUEBLUE

Wed, Jan 30, 2013 : 3:41 p.m.

Is there some reason the headline description of this murderer had to be "Former U-M student"? What relevance does this have to the crime? Why not just man from Highland Township. Please go work for the Inquirer.

pest

Wed, Jan 30, 2013 : 12:55 p.m.

Unless the jury had a lot of information that we do not have, I would not have been able to convict. I honestly don't know if he killed his mother or not, but from what I read, there is nothing that tells me he did. And regarding is sentencing, that is a farce and should be appealed. The extenuating circumstance alone of years of abuse should factor in and be a lighter sentence, yet he was sentenced LONGER than state guidelines.

Sam S Smith

Wed, Jan 30, 2013 : 12:54 p.m.

I don't know if this young man is guilty or not. If anyone is having difficulty dealing with a family member who has a diagnosis of mental illness of whatever kind, and this difficulty in itself is common, please contact NAMI for help. You are not alone! NAMI is a great support system for families and friends and well as those who have a mental illness diagnosis.

Cash

Wed, Jan 30, 2013 : 11:08 a.m.

Following this case, I hope they win an appeal. I just never thought this young man was proven guilty. Just my opinion.

PineyWoodsGuy

Wed, Jan 30, 2013 : 7:06 a.m.

Don't know if defendant is Guilty. "The murder weapon was never found, and there were no eyewitnesses. But there was circumstantial evidence." I do know that Oakland Circuit Judge Bowman Exceeded the Sentencing Guidelines and that is Travesty in a case like this! hope the Court of Appeals will adjudge this young man a "Sentence Cut."