HazMat team cleans up gallon of hydrochloric acid spilled in Ann Arbor barn
A gallon of hydrochloric acid spilled in an Ann Arbor barn Thursday evening, causing the Washtenaw County Hazardous Materials crew to spend about four hours cleaning up.
Ann Arbor Fire Department officials said firefighters were sent at 4:38 p.m. Thursday to a barn behind a home in the 2900 block of Kimberly Street. Officials said someone on a cleanup crew working in the barn dropped a glass jar with an unknown liquid on the second floor of the barn.
After a short time, the crew saw smoke coming from the spill, got out of the building and called the fire department. Ann Arbor firefighters arrived and then called a second AAFD unit with extra hazmat training.
That crew determined they needed to call the Washtenaw County HazMat Team. The team entered the building and determined about a gallon of hydrochloric acid had spilled onto debris in the barn.
The HazMat crew added a powder that neutralized the acid, fire officials said in a press release. Crews eventually left the scene at 8:39 p.m.
No one was injured, but a Huron Valley Ambulance crew was on scene.