You are viewing this article in the archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see
Posted on Mon, Jul 2, 2012 : 7:10 p.m.

Overexposure: Naked man reveals himself to canoeists along Huron River in 8th flashing incident

By John Counts

He’s back and still in the buff.

Ann Arbor police suspect the same man responsible for exposing himself in several riverside incidents struck again Monday.

Three canoeists - one male, two female - reported seeing a man wearing nothing but a hat and sunglasses at 2:45 p.m. while they were drifting down the Huron River near the Furstenberg Nature Area.

Sgt. Craig Flocken of the AAPD said the canoeists described the suspect as an elderly white male with grey hair, a description that matches previous reports.

“He was wearing a mossy green fishing hat and sunglasses“ and nothing else, Flocken said. “He stepped out from the foliage to the bank of the river.”

The canoeists were unable to immediately call the police. Flocken said they were dispatched to the area roughly 30 minutes after the incident and were not able to locate the naked suspect.

Ann Arbor police are asking the public for help. They think the same man might be responsible for indecent exposure incidents in the past.

“This has been No. 8 in that area since September 2010,” Flocken said. “As soon as somebody sees this guy, call us right away.”

The quicker the public calls, the quicker officers can be on scene to search for the man, said Flocken.

View Larger Map

John Counts covers cops and courts for He can be reached at or you can follow him on Twitter.

Wed, Jul 11, 2012 : 5:17 a.m.

I think what matters the most here is this mans intentions with the "flashing". Is he jumping around the bushes playing with his genitalia saying "HEY LOOKY HERE CANOERS!" or is he just masquerading around in the nude? It sounds more like a masquerade to me than a sick pervert -- but maybe I missed those important details when I read the article through the first time...any one know?

Wed, Jul 4, 2012 : 12:31 p.m.

Was canoeing down this river in 1975 with a group from church and came up two couples having sex. I had a camera and started snapping pictures. They noticed this and took off running barefoot and in the buff. It was quite a sight to see as they yelped in pain. Good Day

Wed, Jul 4, 2012 : 12:39 p.m.

obviously pre 'you tube' and self humiliating cell phone 'sexting'....nowadays they'd want your photos to pitch a reality show about themselves on BRAVO.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 6:27 p.m.

Hope he knows what Poison ivy looks like....... BTW, was he clean shaven?

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 4:57 p.m.

Best. Thread. Ever.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 2:53 p.m.

Less civilized places would likely respond far differently to this kind of public provocation. In England they'd make him a member of the nobility and ship him off to run a boys' boarding school. Anyway, Ann Arbor hasn't had a municipal mascot since Shakey Jake strummed his last untuned guitar. This may be an eccentric whose time has come.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 4:28 p.m.

@Kay - no hidden euphamisms there. That's just how he performed.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 4:14 p.m.

is "strummed his un-tuned guitar" a euphemism?

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 3:21 p.m.

Rattlesnake Jake?

Paul Wiener

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 2:47 p.m.

Does nobody remember "The Rapids," the great nude swimming hole on the Huron about 2 miles south of Delhi Park - back in the 70's when the naked body wasn't considered a desecration nor sexuality an embarrassment? Both the flasher and the response to him are a measure of how far downhill Ann Arbor's moral sensibility has fallen. Who would have dreamed that its uptightness would become news fodder?

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 4:18 p.m.

Really, Paul? I busted out laughing when I read your comment about Ann Arbor being "uptight". In all seriousness, I agree with bedrog - there is a lot of hypertolerance in this case and that needs to be addressed.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 3:17 p.m.

is your screenname for real?? in any case , if a place is legally set aside for 'naturalists" its one thing, as those who frequent it know what to expect. This is quite another...and has nothing to do with "uptightness', but rather with out of control hypertolerance for the , well, 'out of control' among us who need to be reined in.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 2:39 p.m.

But was he yelling "shrinkage, there was shrinkage!"? Seriously though, while it is certainly not a big deal in the greater scheme of things, I recall being downtown one early Sunday morning and unfortunately got the pleasure of seeing a guy pulling it out and urinating right in the street. I'm still alive to tell the tale, but it was pretty shocking and gross and I would have preferred not to see it. So just because some of you think it's no big deal, his "audience" might feel differently. JMO

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 2:36 p.m.

While levity and snark is easy in this case ( and im no stranger to either!) the idea of a old ( or any!!) guy who's out of control in a sexually related way, particularly in an area frequented by kids, isnt all that funny. hellooooo! sandusky?? a local pediatrician ?? when my small grandaughter visits us this area is a place we often go....and i hope for all our sakes he's not there when we are ( as i don't want to end up in jail for assault ..or crabs!).

Bertha Venation

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 5:31 p.m.

Who said anything about sex? Was he masturbating? I didn't see that part. While nudity isn't a big deal to me, if he was pullin' his pud in public, that would be different.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 1:50 p.m.

"In the buff"? At that time of day this week, I should think he'd be in the pink, at least.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 1:43 p.m.

Just hand out paint ball guns or pellet guns with every canoe rental. Then offer a $100.00 reward for the group that catches this guy. He won't be out there long.

Attempted Voice of Reason

Wed, Jul 4, 2012 : 1:11 a.m.

That's actually quite a nice idea. The paint ball guns anyway. They're designed for shooting at people, and they'll leave evidence.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 1:41 p.m.

Damage? How does the visage of a naked old coot damage a child? It's hilarious. Oh, the humanity.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 1:10 p.m.

This is a huge deal, it's not just about some old man being weird & naked. It's the sickness behind it. There is something wrong with his mind that he thinks he could show his goods to people without consequenses. There could and probably will be children going down that river and the psychological damage that could happen to them could be un-repairable.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 4:07 p.m.

We are not talking about the lesser of two evils. We are talking about someone who needs some help. It's not ok for the man to expose himself, even if he is "some crazy old coot" naturalist. The story is hilarious and odd, but it's still not ok and he needs some help (and maybe some donated clothing!).

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 3:18 p.m.

I think that my daughter will suffer far more long lasting and irreparable damage from the hyper-sexualized images on magazine covers at the grocery checkout. THAT is damaging to a child's development. If we were canoeing along and saw this man I would likely wave and paddle on, my daughter would giggle with her friends that she saw an old man's wee-wee, and that would pretty much be the end of it. Come on people, get a grip. Sounds like a goofy old hippy naturalist giving people stories to tell. Of course he should stop, because of he doesn't he'll eventually end up getting caught and have to register on the sex offender list. Beyond that though, I think some people are just blowing this way out of proportion in terms of fears of personal harm or psychological damage. It's a crazy old coot standing naked in a the river.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 2:43 p.m.

@amlive And you think it is ok for children to think of a weird and naked old man as "ok" and nothing to be upset about? Do you by chance own a mossy colored fishing hat?

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 2:22 p.m.

I couldn't disagree more. Sounds to me like this is nothing more than some old man being weird and naked.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 12:52 p.m.

There have probably been more incidents as someone like me would not care nor bother to report it. Geez, what's the big deal, you'd have to be blind & celibate to have never seen a naked body somewhere in your life.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 12:42 p.m.

Oh come on, folks. He doesn't need treatment. This isn't a big deal. If you don't want to see, don't look. Say, "oh, gross" just like I do with people dressed or doing things I don't want to see, and move on. No harm, no foul.

Bertha Venation

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 5:26 p.m.

Very well said, Mom. I couldn't agree more. Fercryin'outloud.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 12:10 p.m.

Keep it up dude! Ann Arbor needs more characters and less of what it's become. AAPD has more serious issues to deal with than busting older naturalists sunning by an urban drainage ditch.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 11:53 a.m.

For those readers who think there's no harm done, please bear in mind that for the person performing the act, the point of such indecent exposure is that the unwilling viewer's repulsion and/or shock actually increases the flasher's sexual excitement. In other words, this person is not just nude he's seeking sexual thrills. (insert "allegedly" where necessary) Have said that, I laughed out loud when I read Mark's post. Catfish bait indeed.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 3:30 p.m.

From what I've read here, this does not appear to be sexually motivated. I'm thinking an old coot with his own agenda who has not a care in the world...we should all be so lucky.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 11:12 a.m.

Maybe he is noodling for catfish.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 10:05 a.m.

I'm sorry but is this really such a big deal? I mean frankly I don't care if a dude wants to be naked. Have we become that afraid of the male body? Are we hung up on fear of male genitalia? I just think this is a sad commentary on our societies prudishness.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 4:44 a.m.

Clothes are for is Hot out Folks!!!!!

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 4:20 a.m.

Alzheimer's? Dementia? Somehow the guy doesn't seem to be a danger and seems to be minding his own business

Wed, Jul 4, 2012 : 8:20 p.m.

Ypsi..........No danger at all and folks with dementia and alzheimers revert back to childhood and fantasy worlds that could explain this behavior, but then, you seem to be the expert.....but then even experts have been proven wrong.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 4:48 a.m.

I should have read my post more carefully. The question should be, "You really think a person who chooses to run around naked in pubic places and deliberately expose himself to strangers isn't a potential danger?

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 4:47 a.m.

People with dementia bad enough to make them forget clothes don't have the capacity to conduct an ongoing indecent exposure spree in carefully selected locations. A dementia victim would be easily caught, and would not be confining his activities to a specific area. You really don't think a person who chooses to run around naked in pubic places and deliberately expose himself to strangers isn't a potential danger?

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 3:40 a.m.

Seems to me we should capitalize on this as a tourist attraction. Gawkers could come from miles around to rent a boat for the chance of spotting Natural Old Nick. The liveries could sell Tshirts and everything. Really, as long as he's not flashing little kids I really don't care too much. He's a naked old man standing in the water, you're in a boat armed with paddles - do you think he's ever going to try and get within five feet of the boat? Look the other way, keep on paddling, and pick up your "Violated on the Huron" Tshirt at the end. Don't even worry about paddling faster unless you hear a banjo.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 3:27 p.m.

LOL, you have the best attitude!!

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 3:07 a.m.

I would say we can narrow this down to a suspect who is not allergic to bees and who may buy a lot of calamine lotion. With the kind of sun we have had recently he should stick out this fall. Pardon the pun.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 2:58 a.m.

Amazing that there are 8 incidents and not one person was armed with their camera to capture him. Try this at a school assembly and there would be a ton of images of this man.

Bertha Venation

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 5:21 p.m.

treetown. Ya. That's a good idea. I'd like to see what all the fuss is about and if it's really worth the glance.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 2:58 p.m.

I know the canoe is an impediment to having a cell phone c amera at the ready, but unless everyione in the canoe is a complete novice, the likelihood of capsizing in the area where the gentleman is is pretty unlikely. I think most people put their phones in zip locks or other water resistant/proof containers. Maybe, could do some investigative journalism and some a staffer and photographer out on a regular basis?

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 12:25 p.m.

Bringing your phone or camera into a canoe isn't the brightest idea. You could capsize and loose it.

dading dont delete me bro

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 10:41 a.m.

no cell phone camera?

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 3:34 a.m.

One does not simply bring a camera into a canoe/kayak.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 2:44 a.m.

This flasher needs a hobby besides this one lol

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 2:36 a.m.

If only someone could remember his FACE!

Thu, Jul 5, 2012 : 7:54 p.m.

YpsiVet made a poem!

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 4:32 p.m.

He's bald with one eye! Oh wait... yeah, you're right.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 4:49 a.m.

Maybe his manscape blends in with the landscape.

Jeff Renner

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 2:17 a.m.

Is he still clean shaven? ;-)

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 1:47 p.m.

Words fail me.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 2:14 a.m.

I'm surprised I haven't run into this guy in the park yet, but if I do, I'll take a picture and expose his identity (so to speak). I have given up trying to tell my joke about three old ladies on a park bench. Most of you already know it.

Thu, Jul 5, 2012 : 7:56 p.m.

Take heart, Loopy; maybe he IS a member of the club.

Bertha Venation

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 3:57 p.m.

Not sure what the big deal is as long as it's not children he's exposing himself to. I'd just look, point, and laugh hysterically.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 2:30 p.m.

Great, now I have to google "three old ladies on a park bench" ;)

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 2:03 a.m.

Wow, now he sounds like a real natural in nature. I thnk I would personally just ignore him. (as long as he was not trying to get near me) Wonder if a police dog has ever been on his trail?

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 1:37 a.m.

I've got an extra window AC unit I'd donate if that'd stop the horror...

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 1:17 a.m.

We ought to elect Dave Brandon Mayor of Ann Arbor: it takes that kind of genius to see the tremendous tourist value in this kind of "home grown personality." Furthermore, it could mean a great boost in paintball gun sales for Huron River Safaris Hunting the Great Unclothed One. ;-)

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 1:16 a.m.

The human body is a work of art, why are we making a big deal about this?

Thu, Jul 5, 2012 : 1:33 a.m.

@smokeblwr --- because this is "in public" and decent men, women and children live, breathe, play "in public".

Gyll Stanford

Wed, Jul 4, 2012 : 1:28 a.m.

It's like the joke of the two bears coming across a nudist camp of elderly folks, one says to the other, "I just lost my appetite".

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 2:52 a.m.

Most of us would rather go to the art, rather than have the art come to us.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 2:35 a.m.

As we get older it's more like Cubism!

dading dont delete me bro

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 12:52 a.m.

the man clearly is trying to avoid tan lines

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 12:42 a.m.

He was probably looking for the north campus cougar

Bertha Venation

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 3:54 p.m.

HA!!! Good one, B2. I'll bet you're RIGHT. He needs a GPS because his divining rod isn't working.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 12:26 a.m.

Grey hair? Could you narrow that down a bit for us? Thanks.

Wed, Jul 4, 2012 : 12:24 p.m.

Too funny EyeHeartA2, grey hair everywhere ! Good Day

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 2:16 a.m.

Oh, fine. They print YOUR comment.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 12:07 a.m.

Our very own "Magic Mike"

Mon, Jul 2, 2012 : 11:34 p.m.

These serial offenders have a weak spot: Somebody knows. Could be his mother or wife, his tailor or his sunblock supplier, but rest assured somebody knows who this guy is.

Tue, Jul 3, 2012 : 2:15 a.m.

His mother? I dunno, he sounds pretty old already. Mrs. Burns?