Posted on Thu, Sep 20, 2012 : 7:58 a.m.

Police arrest 3 suspected of stealing jewelry from Depot Town store

By Cindy Heflin

Ypsilanti police Wednesday arrested three people suspected of breaking into a business in the city and swiping what was described as an extensive amount of jewelry, cash and precious metal.

Someone broke into a business in the first block of East Cross Street in Ypsilanti in the early morning hours of Tuesday and took the items, police said in a news release.

Then on Wednesday, police investigating the case went to a home on South Harris Street in Ypsilanti Township and arrested a 54-year-old woman on suspicion of receiving and concealing stolen property.

Further investigation led them to two apartments in the 200 block of South Grove Street, where they arrested an 18-year-old man and a 35-year-old man. One was accused of receiving and concealing stolen property and the other of breaking and entering.

Police said they found some of the property at one of the apartments.

The woman was released pending charges, and the men were held at the Washtenaw County jail, pending arraignment, expected Friday.

View Larger Map

Cindy Heflin is associate news director at AnnArbor.com. Contact her at 734-623-2572 or cindyheflin@annarbor.com or follow her on Twitter.

Comments

JRW

Fri, Sep 21, 2012 : 4:21 p.m.

@actionjackson: Crime is much higher in Ypsi than A2. No bashing involved. Those are the facts. http://www.areaconnect.com/crime/compare.htm?c1=ypsilanti&s1=MI&c2=ann+arbor&s2=MI

observer

Fri, Sep 21, 2012 : 12:09 p.m.

EXCELLENT WORK YPD.....AGAIN AND AGAIN.....

Woman in Ypsilanti

Thu, Sep 20, 2012 : 6:51 p.m.

If this is the business in Depot Town that I think it is, I will just say that it is terrible that anyone would want to rob them. They are so nice! I am really glad that the YPD caught these folks. That is something to consider the next time a tax proposal comes up. I want to live in a community with well paid, competent, police officers and so far that has been my experience in Ypsilanti.

Candy Chavez

Sun, Sep 23, 2012 : 12:09 a.m.

I meant to vote up!! I love that store and the owners.. Im glad *theyre* ok!

dave french

Fri, Sep 21, 2012 : 11:53 a.m.

I agree. Everyone at that store are very nice people. I'm glad they got their property recovered before it was gone to the wind. Good job YPD.

ypsi 1

Thu, Sep 20, 2012 : 4:28 p.m.

Smaller jails and fewer prisons are the norm lately. Prisons are overcrowded and felons get out earlier anyway. I wish it would help but I'm afraid changing the Constitution or stiffening sentences will not help if we can't house them. YpsiVeteran I totally agree. YPD is the best in the county, maybe more.

nickcarraweigh

Thu, Sep 20, 2012 : 2:21 p.m.

We need a constitutional amendment so that every crime involving more than one person is required to have a cooperating conspirator. Under penalty of law, of course. Simplify things enormously.

YpsiVeteran

Thu, Sep 20, 2012 : 1:20 p.m.

Let's see....according to the article, crime committed Tuesday; the very next day, THREE people, in different locations, are arrested, and some or all of the stolen property has been recovered. That looks to be pretty good police work. Nice job YPD. Just think what they could do if they had more than three or four people to shift.

YpsiVeteran

Thu, Sep 20, 2012 : 1:41 p.m.

...to "a" shift."

actionjackson

Thu, Sep 20, 2012 : 12:54 p.m.

Waiting for Ypsilanti bashing? Hey people, crime happens in all cities. In over 60 years in Ann Arbor the whole "we're better than you" has been an issue. Very similar to argument on playgrounds in grade school. What's funny to me is the total insecurity of those that leave the posts.

actionjackson

Thu, Sep 20, 2012 : 6:37 p.m.

Then there are those that will never understand. Even after leaving elementary school.

tdw

Thu, Sep 20, 2012 : 1:43 p.m.

action......I've finally seen the errors in my thinking.Ann Arbor has the most caring,intelligent and accepting people in the country . Crime , bad driving etc..is only caused by " out of towners "Ypsi is only filled with thugs and low IQ people.It is a pit everywhere ( Hope you get my sarcasim)( see I'm from Ypsi and can't spell )