You are viewing this article in the archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see
Posted on Wed, Feb 20, 2013 : 12:30 p.m.

Police: Details won't be released for 2 to 3 weeks in shootout that left break-in suspect dead

By John Counts


Kevin Hassell


More details about what happened during a shootout in which police killed a break-in suspect in Green Oak Township won't be coming for two to three weeks, investigators said Wednesday.

Kevin William Hassell, 31, was shot dead by police inside his home after being chased from a nearby residence he was trying to break into around 4:30 p.m. Monday .

Details of the gunfight — such as how many times Hassell was shot and how many rounds were fired by him and the two officers — won't be known until a forensics and ballistics report is complete.

"These things take time," said Lt. Michael McCormick of the Michigan State Police, adding that such reports usually take about two or three weeks before they are submitted to the prosecutor's office. “Right now, it’s just a waiting game to see how the forensics pan out."

A trooper from the state police's Brighton post and a Green Oak Township police officer chased Hassell from a home on Bishop Road to Hassell's house on Twilight Drive where the three exchanged gunfire inside the residence, police said.

"Preliminary results of the investigation indicate multiple shots were fired inside the residence by the suspect, the trooper and the Green Oak police officer during the shooting," a release issued to the media Tuesday stated.

McCormick would not elaborate on this Wednesday. Details of the breaking and entering at the Bishop Road home also were not being released since it is germane to the shooting investigation, McCormick said.

“We don’t want to jeopardize any sort of review," he added.

Both officers have been placed on leave following the shooting per protocol, McCormick said. The Green Oak Township officer is an eight-year police veteran. The trooper has been with the state police for 12 years.

The shooting came less than a week after a state police trooper shot and killed Gabriel Stevenson, 18, of Ypsilanti Feb. 12 after he crashed his car into a house and lunged at police with a knife, police said.


james farmer

Thu, Feb 21, 2013 : 7 p.m.

Kevin was a good dude but heroin got the best of him. Thats a damn shame

ms 2013

Thu, Feb 21, 2013 : 5:48 p.m.

lord have mercy so so sad


Thu, Feb 21, 2013 : 3:30 a.m.

Thank God the officers are OK! Good job & speedy return to work!

John Counts

Wed, Feb 20, 2013 : 7:26 p.m.

I'm not exactly sure how the South African criminal justice process compares to ours in America, but the Pistorius case may have been fast-tracked because it was so high-profile. I was told by state police that the investigation into the shooting of Gabriel Stevenson by a trooper would take about 2 or 3 weeks, too.


Wed, Feb 20, 2013 : 5:56 p.m.

It is amazing how long "the process" takes. In South Africa the forensics is already done in the Pistorius case. Although that could be good and bad.


Thu, Feb 21, 2013 : 12:54 a.m.

im starting a petition banning you from using the word amazing for your next four comments. the results should be available in two to three weeks.


Wed, Feb 20, 2013 : 8:56 p.m.

Maybe you could volunteer your expertise in these matters?


Wed, Feb 20, 2013 : 7:18 p.m.

I'm going to go with bad.