Posted on Thu, May 5, 2011 : 10:02 a.m.

Six nabbed in prostitution sting in Ypsilanti and Ypsilanti Township

By Lee Higgins

Six women were arrested during a prostitution sting Wednesday along East Michigan Avenue in Ypsilanti and Ypsilanti Township, investigators said.

Charged with soliciting, accosting or inviting to commit prostitution are 26-year-old Rebecca Deanne Rich of Scio Township; 42-year-old Britt Elizabeth Pierce of Ypsilanti; and 29-year-old Michelle Ann-Frances Joseph, 27-year-old Katrina Cheryl Suarez, 39-year-old Renee Elizabeth Sawall and 45-year-old Kimberly Marie Goree, all of Ypsilanti Township. The six were arraigned Thursday afternoon.

The women were arrested between 4 p.m. and 11 p.m., Ypsilanti police Det. Sgt. Troy Fulton said.

Fulton said the women offered sex to undercover male officers. Five Ypsilanti police officers and seven Washtenaw County sheriff's deputies participated in the operation, he said.

Five of the women were arrested in the township, while the other one was arrested in the city.

Accosting and soliciting is a misdemeanor punishable by up to 93 days in jail upon conviction.

Comments

A2K

Mon, May 9, 2011 : 12:38 a.m.

Every single study done on prostitution shows that you can't stop it unless you focus on prosecuting the Johns. Frankly, I think it should be legalized and heavily-regulated (safer for all involved). I think it's terrible that you published these women's names, ages, where they are from...I'm guessing that perhaps more than one is a Mom and who knows what she's been through to be out working on the streets?

Wolf's Bane

Sat, May 7, 2011 : 12:46 p.m.

I hate to agree with some of the folks on this board, but as long as you have demand for prostitution, you're going to have a supply. Want to end this laughable situation? Make the penalty more severe (and taxpayers responsible for housing these criminals), legalize and regulate it (tax it), or start publishing the customers names and addresses. Just my two cents...

Peter Jameson

Sat, May 7, 2011 : 6 a.m.

somebody's gotta do it!

Wolf's Bane

Sat, May 7, 2011 : 8:35 p.m.

When do you start?

JB

Fri, May 6, 2011 : 5:50 p.m.

If we must compare Ann Arbor to Ypsilanti, what would you rather have in your city? Some prostitutes or an over-entitled rich kid who mows down ducks with his hummer. Decisions!

BhavanaJagat

Fri, May 6, 2011 : 4:11 p.m.

I am glad to note that we live in a society where we are not allowed to throw stones at people to condemn their sinful activities. We have stopped throwing those stones as a Teacher had asked us that the one who has not sinned before to step forward to throw the stone. We live our lives in comfort as our sins are not exposed and as there is no fear that we may be stoned in public. While I was a school kid, I had lived in India, and in the Town where I lived, I had seen prostitutes who had lived in homes of their own with a sense of dignity and pride. They used to solicit while they stood or relaxed in the front porches of their own homes. Later, the scene got changed. Government has enforced laws prohibting selling of sex. These women had gone underground, lost their properties, and also lost their sense of security, pride, and human dignity. They had live at the mercy of the pimps and the Police who used to keep a major share of their earnings. Man is a moral being as he knows as to what is good and what is evil. Man discerns the right from wrong. Sex is a normal human biological instinct and desire and sexual relations have always been governed by the principles of morality. I call lust is sin as it represents excessive sexual passion. We need to exercise moderation and seek a sexual relation which is respectful and protects the human dignity of the persons involved.

Sciomanone1

Fri, May 6, 2011 : 2:46 p.m.

It is wonderful that the names are listed so if any of them are our neighbor it would be good to know and also if the names of there customers were listed it would be much better also, because we all need to know if they are our neighbor also and they give the names on to catch a preditor on TV and we all need to know for the better of the community of where we all live, then we can watch the customers and the criminals so the whole area of Washtenaw can be safe and sound. It would be nice if something could be done about the area of Michigan ave near the little hotels going east near down town, the females will come up to your car and try to come into the car and this has been going on for years. When I go that way, I take my dog with me and he will greet the ladys and they do not try to get in when they see the Not friendly dog greet them at the window. Thanks so much to the Police for working on this bad situation in Ypsilanti and it does mean so much to the residents are do pay taxes and are concern about themselvs and their neighbors that also pays taxes.

Dog Guy

Fri, May 6, 2011 : 1:43 p.m.

Why doesn't Ann Arbor have a prostitution problem? High moral standards? Free competition? Guys not interested in women? Lack of enforcement? Money to be indoors? Workaholism?

Thomas

Fri, May 6, 2011 : 12:28 p.m.

The WCSO and the YPD should do a joint reverse sting and then AANews can print the johns names. The only way to reduce prostitution is to reduce the demand.

anti-thug

Fri, May 6, 2011 : 1:24 a.m.

is this a organized prostitution ring or just some women getting arrested to payed love making?

Buck Wild

Fri, May 6, 2011 : 12:53 a.m.

4pm? Them's daytime hooker hours! A little "afternoon delight," anyone?

ChunkyPastaSauce

Thu, May 5, 2011 : 8:39 p.m.

What is the point of printing their names? Also agree with the "A total waste of limited resources."

Dennis

Thu, May 5, 2011 : 8:25 p.m.

Pick up the "Lady", pick up the "John" and pick up the "Transportation" used, even if it's shoes. Then provide "Fines".

missypsi

Thu, May 5, 2011 : 8:15 p.m.

Once again, AA.com pulls something straight from the crime blotter and calls it "news." Please do some REAL reporting on Ypsilanti, this is just lazy and disappointing...

David Briegel

Thu, May 5, 2011 : 8:13 p.m.

They never bust the employers. Only the employees are criminals!? And in reality, they are victims in many ways of our not so great society. Poorly educated and in poverty with not much hope. Maybe they are just waiting for that promised "trickle down"! They can feel it but it's nowhere in sight!

cinnabar7071

Thu, May 5, 2011 : 8:49 p.m.

David they do in fact go after the Johns. And stop blaming other people for the choices the woman make, its not societys fault. If you do want someone to share the blame you might look at the womans parents for their lack of involvement. My kid doesn't like school, and I don't like forcing him to study everynight but guess what goes on at my house. Yeah thats right I force my kid to do his homework everynight, then I check it and if its wrong he corrects it before he does anything else. And I'm a single working parent so don't even go there. Its what real caring parents do.

Rachel

Thu, May 5, 2011 : 7:44 p.m.

While it is degrading to women, banning prostitution leads to abuse against them. Stop wasting limited resources to prosecute those who are trying to make a living.

A2K

Mon, May 9, 2011 : 12:41 a.m.

If you want to see real money, ask a male prostitute what he makes in an evening...it's not just women who would benefit from regulation/legalization!

Rachel

Sat, May 7, 2011 : 4:15 a.m.

When you ban prostitution, you take away these woman's rights. That means that if they are beaten up, or harmed while preforming their services, they can not go to the police Also become what they are doing is illegal, policemen can go into brothels and rape them without being prosecuted. (While the latter is rare, and hopefully does not happen here (or anywhere for that matter), it still occurs.)

Mick52

Sat, May 7, 2011 : 3:55 a.m.

Banning prostitution leads to abuse against women? Prostitution is already banned so are these women being abused?

Woman in Ypsilanti

Thu, May 5, 2011 : 7:08 p.m.

How come these anti prostitution efforts focus on arresting the women involved? I would much rather see this issue attacked from the demand side rather than the supply side. Especially since usually by the time a person becomes a street walking prostitute, they don't really have too much to lose. But I'll bet the married men who patronize these women do have something to lose. We need to arrest *them* and in as publicly a manner as possible. Let the whole community know what perverts they are. That just might discourage men from paying for sex.

Woman in Ypsilanti

Fri, May 6, 2011 : 9:35 p.m.

Re: "Either way you put the women out of business." Yes, that would be the point. Either that or legalize it with regulation. All I can say is that I am a little tired of finding used condoms on my lawn.

Thomas

Fri, May 6, 2011 : 12:26 p.m.

The YPD has does reverse stings in the past. I think they should do another one and release THOSE names.

cinnabar7071

Thu, May 5, 2011 : 8:42 p.m.

Either way you put the women out of business.

ruraljuror

Thu, May 5, 2011 : 7:05 p.m.

Nobody goes into prostitution because they want to or because they like it; they do it out of desperation. Life has punished these women enough. So, if we don't have the decency as a society to make prostitution a respectable profession let's at least allow these women some shred of dignity and make patronizing a prostitute the only offense. Punish the johns if anyone needs to be punished, but not the prostitutes, who are actually victims.

stevek

Thu, May 5, 2011 : 7:50 p.m.

Boo-Hoo, nobody forced these "women" to become criminals. Nobody forced them into desperation. Nobody forced them to choose to do this. Nobody forced them to not be useful members of society.

FredMax

Thu, May 5, 2011 : 5:35 p.m.

There is something positive to be said about any profession that continues to provide employment for the 40-plus crowd right alongside the new-hires.

AA

Thu, May 5, 2011 : 4:50 p.m.

A total waste of limited resources. I wish these women well.

RJA

Thu, May 5, 2011 : 4:23 p.m.

Congrats to Washtenaw County Sherrif's Dept. and the Ypsilanti Police! I hope these (so called women) don't have husband's or children. I would like to think women in this age range, could get a real job. I hope any charges will keep them OFF the streets.

Thomas

Fri, May 6, 2011 : 12:25 p.m.

Some of these women do have husbands and children, which makes the entire thing worse and much better that they were picked up. Those type of women have a higher chance of getting out and off the drugs (the reason they're doing it in the first place) because they have a support system. Sometimes the family doesn't even know they're doing it. Getting picked up can be a wake up call for some. Not all, for sure. But some.

Craig Lounsbury

Thu, May 5, 2011 : 5:13 p.m.

I would hope the (so called men) who buy the service don't have wives or children.

Martin Church

Thu, May 5, 2011 : 3:37 p.m.

Since I live in the area, it's nice these folks have been picked up. but we need to make the penaltiy more severe. some of these gals have been picked up before and it has become the cost of doing business. Some are also look outs for some of our drug houses and have become scraifical lambs to bigger problems. Next will be the rest of our nightly entertainment when the judges release them and they are back out on the street. we need to raise the cost of doing this type of business, but since Ypsi is now the drug capital of washtenaw county thanks to our city council and voters I don't think this will ever happen.

BBBYpsi

Sat, Jul 2, 2011 : 2:12 a.m.

I also live in Ypsi. What is really sad for me is that at one time one of these women worked with me & was the sweetest nicest young lady. She then started hanging out with the wrong people. Started getting really drunk & at work that way to. One of these girls talked her into dancing with her. Then it was really down hill from there. Shame to a very sweet pretty girl with a young child to. I hope things really get better for her.

Woman in Ypsilanti

Thu, May 5, 2011 : 7:19 p.m.

I don't know what you mean about our city council and voters turning Ypsilanti into the drug capital of Washtenaw county unless you are talking about marijuana policy. I can assure you, no one is street walking to support a medical marijuana habit if that is what you are implying.

Craig Lounsbury

Thu, May 5, 2011 : 3:48 p.m.

I don't live in the area so its easy for me to be flippant about the situation. Maybe raising the cost of doing business on the demand side would be part of the solution. One can't be a prostitute without a customer base.

catfishrisin

Thu, May 5, 2011 : 3:33 p.m.

Every year they go through this sting game..waste of resources without any long term effect

Craig Lounsbury

Thu, May 5, 2011 : 3:06 p.m.

Perhaps a better headline might be ..... "Government Shuts Down 6 Entrepreneur's as Local Economy Struggles "

shepard145

Thu, May 5, 2011 : 2:48 p.m.

Why is Ypsilanti the center of Washtenaw Country crime? The community benefits from all the elements we're told are important - great colleges and universities, new library and a huge medical center. While industry has fallen, so has the rest of Michigan's manufacturing base. ...yet for all it still has going for it, Ypsilanti's main contribution to the region is still a steady flow of criminals.

eagleman

Fri, May 6, 2011 : 5:33 a.m.

Ypsi is a mixbag. Many parts are rundown and nasty. The area around EMU's campus is a perfect example. Some nicde neighborhoods mixed in with ghetto-style dwellings. I work in Ann Arbor at night and live in Ypsi. I feel far more comfortable walking around Ann Arbor than I do Ypsi so I have no idea what Chris is fearing in Ann Arbor. Maybe a deranged hippie? Who knows? I went to EMU and have lived in Ypsi since '99. It isn't as bad as some think, but it is no where near Ann Arbor in terms of being a desirable place to live. I am reading some of the response and I have to shake me head. Spin doesn't change the facts, Neal and Wes.

Wes Stoody

Thu, May 5, 2011 : 9:37 p.m.

Dear middle class Ann Arborite, Without dwelling on the negatives, lets look at the main aspect Ypsilanti offers that Ann Arbor now lacks. Creativity. The driving force behind our culture and economic future no longer resides on the East side of US-23, but instead, lies with the artists and entrepreneurs living in Ypsilanti. The opportunities given to those living in cities like Ypsi and Detroit have only been offered to Americans when this country was founded. We have a chance to create something almost from scratch. We can be as creative as we want, and dream as big as we want. While those on the other side of the county are stuck in middle management, citizens of Ypsilanti have the audacity and sheer courage to start companies, to dedicate themselves to art, or music. We have opportunities to open bars and restaurants with character Ann Arbor will never know. I know this is hard for someone brought up in Ann Arbor, but please, before you make another unfounded generalization, THINK. Learn about the great things Ypsi has to offer, and if you see a problem, try and fix it instead of complaining.

Grimey

Thu, May 5, 2011 : 9:02 p.m.

Um, cuz there's no jobs? Duh.

Woman in Ypsilanti

Thu, May 5, 2011 : 7:16 p.m.

I would imagine that Ypsilanti crime rates are higher than Ann Arbor's or other areas in Washtenaw County because Ypsilanti has some low cost housing. There is a correlation between poverty and crime. Even so, I think Ypsilanti's diversity adds more to the community than the increased crime takes away from it. Cheap housing attracts criminals to be sure but it also attracts artists, students, dreamers, hard working people who just happen to be poor, etc. It is funny too because Ann Arbor used to be a really cool place and it started to lose that coolness right around the time the hookers all moved to Ypsilanti. Sure it is just a correlation between hookers and hipsters but well...there you go. Ypsilanti does have crime. It also is an awesome place to live with a lot of energy. Besides, all one has to do is read craigslist to know that there are plenty of hookers in Ann Arbor.

Neal

Thu, May 5, 2011 : 6:47 p.m.

Is it safe to assume your opinion was developed solely from your Ann Arbor news sources? You forget to recognize that Ypsi is, in fact, the progressive town that Ann Arbor claims to be. With a vibrant community of artists, creative individuals and well educated citizens Ypsi strives to develop a well rounded community of open minds. It's unfortunate that the occasional crime along with the arrogance of select Washtenaw County citizens casts a shadow over the great things Ypsi has done for the Greater Ann Arbor area. Do yourself a favor, venture past the intersection of Washtenaw and Huron Parkway sometime and check out the truly unique environment Ypsi represents - I'm guessing you'll be surprised. And if that doesn't interest you, cozy up next to your laptop (with your Arbor Brewing Co. beer -more than likely brewed in Ypsi) and read about some of the great things Ypsi is contributing to the region. <a href="http://www.heritage.com/ypsilanti_courier/" rel='nofollow'>http://www.heritage.com/ypsilanti_courier/</a>

Bertha Venation

Thu, May 5, 2011 : 3:59 p.m.

It's the folks from Detroit moving west. Watch out Saline..... you're next.

Chris 8 - YPSI PRIDE

Thu, May 5, 2011 : 3:25 p.m.

Reason being is this DOT COM newspaper is based in a tall building in the center of downtown A2 and intead of looking down and reporting, they are looking out and elsewhere. there is nothing to the west so the best stories come from the east. A2 has plenty of shenanagins going on there along with plenty hoodlums. As a person who works in A2 at night I personally would not feel safe walking around there either. it seems certain people are biased against Ypsi. I noticed the blonde that made every one of her reports on Ypsi is no longer reporting !