You are viewing this article in the archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see
Posted on Fri, Dec 2, 2011 : 6:08 p.m.

Woman falsely reported attempted purse-snatching at Ann Arbor park

By Lee Higgins

Ann Arbor police said today that a Flat Rock woman falsely reported to police Tuesday night that she was pulled out of her car at the Furstenberg Nature Area and punched three times in the face.

Detectives plan to seek charges against the woman for filing a false report, according to Det. Sgt. Pat Hughes.

Hughes had no further comment.

The woman reported that at 5:10 p.m. she stopped at the park on Fuller Road just west of Gallup Park to search her car for her cell phone charger because she needed to charge her phone. She told police that as she was in the driver's seat, looking for the charger, she had the driver's side door cracked open because it was getting hot in the car.

The woman claimed a man pulled her out of the car, punched her in the face and attempted to steal her purse, police said. She told police the man ran away. Police said the woman flagged down a driver and called 911.

Sun, Dec 4, 2011 : 4:50 p.m.

My previous comment was removed, so be it! Yes, go get her AAPD!

Robert Granville

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 : 10:14 p.m.

Another false police report accusing a black male of a violent crime against a white woman... this is what my grandmother warned me about. If you're wondering how this woman was able to fool the police in the first place, I've got your answer. They were predisposed to believe her. "Why?", you ask. That much is obvious...

Sun, Dec 4, 2011 : 5:45 a.m.

please don't tell that to my friend on the force...he's Black...oh wait...cops are predisposed to QUESTION everything and have training to watch for the lying "tells"

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 : 8:14 p.m.

Was the tip off when she identified "Herman Cain" was the perpetrator?

Berda Green

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 : 5:15 p.m.

bet she goes to jail or she will get probation why did she lie

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 : 4:12 p.m.

Strange, didn't the original story report that a "black man" was the perp? Why has this description been omitted from this version of the story? Reminds me of that woman in the Carolina's who claimed a black man stole her car with her children in it. Come find out she had drown them in the car. Yup. Say a black man did it and we're rounding up the posse.

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 : 7:57 p.m.

justcurious: Not if you are a black man and a black man has just been falsely accused of a crime of this nature

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 : 7:33 p.m.

Nit picking...this story eliminated all descriptions of the supposed assailant except that it was a man. No need to describe him since he was a fiction.

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 : 7:22 p.m.

Interesting! I made as similar comment earlier and AA.Com refused to publish it. Yet, they publish these comments. I'm confused by their moderation policy.

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 : 5:39 p.m.

"Say a black man did it and we're rounding up the posse." Umm, right. That's why the police investigated her story until it fell apart, and she admitted the false report. Some "posse".

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 : 5:18 p.m.

But that is EXACTLY why someone from Flat Rock would say that -- have to know your suburban make-up downriver...

Ron Granger

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 : 3:51 p.m.

Fascinating! Someone in the comments mentioned how odd the story was. Specifically, how it was odd that she would have her purse on her right shoulder while seated in the car and looking for a phone in it... While driving... It made no sense. I'm sure detectives picked up on those contradictions instantly, probably with some suspect body language to do with it. Charge her. The community does not have time for fake crime reports.

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 : 5:17 p.m.

Especially from Flat Rock liars...

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 : 12:25 p.m.

I find it hard to say she pulled the wool over the eyes of the police. It's clear that the cops DID think her story funny. It's not as if they simply took her report and left it as an open case. They investigated and, I'm sure with questioning, did get her to admit to the fabrication within a couple of days. The usual course of these things is that a citizen reports a crime. The police then take the statement and begin an investigation. You have to start out with some premise that the victim's allegations are valid but I'm sure they keep an open mind to inconsistencies, etc. Else this would be a real police state if suspicion first falls upon those reporting crimes as a matter of practice. In any case, this "crime" was solved and the police will book the woman on false report charges. Why she acted that way? Who knows? Maybe her boyfriend slapped her around and she didn't want to explain it to her husband. Maybe she needs attention. Maybe there's something else she's trying to cover up. She can explain it to the judge.

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 : 4:57 a.m.

My point exactly - this story was wrong in so many ways I can't believe she pulled the wool over the cops. Like I said ... Dot at 11:39 AM on November 30, 2011 "police said she had the driver's side door cracked open because it was getting hot in the car." hmmmm... it was coooold, windy and rainy in Ann Arbor yesterday. Maybe turn the heat off it it was hot "The woman had the purse around her right arm" while looking around the car for her phone charger? kind of cumbersome I'd say. At any rate, nothing was managed to be taken by this very large man. Hopefully she fully recovers. -------------------- And I'll now add - For the sake of all "very large" men who are black, "I hope she fully recovers" from whatever ails her. Of course if I'd been anymore blunt in my original comment I'd be insulting the "victim".

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 : 4:30 a.m.

The story was very strange in the first place. She just happened to leave her door cracked for whatever reason and a big scary park dwelling predator took advantage? In Ann Arbor?

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 : 12:42 p.m.

Yes, this is possible in Ann Arbor, don't kid yourself.

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 : 2:59 a.m.

Don't worry, she won't face any charges. The wonderful Washtenaw County Prosecutor's office will be sure she isn't victimized again. A few months back a woman had consentual sex with a man on the side of a road, then made up. Story about being raped in order to cover her whereabouts and guilty conscience. The guy was arrested and booked. She later admitted to the whole thing and the prosecutors wouldn't charge her.

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 : 12:42 p.m.

Wrong! She should have been charged and paid a consequence.

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 : 1:22 a.m.

Her description of the fabricated assailant was pretty detailed for being made up, rather than just saying "I didn't get a good look". Interesting.

Tom Todd

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 : 12:25 a.m.

sounds like something my wife would do for attention.

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 : 3:40 a.m.

You're right Tom, she would!

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 : 1:45 a.m.

And that would be a reflection on her husband.

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 : 12:09 a.m.

So is the woman going to be charged with filing a false police report? I hope so!

Billy Bob Schwartz

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 : 12:04 a.m.

The story seemed weird, didn't it? Still, I'm glad the attack didn't happen. Perhaps the court could recommend some therapy.

Sun, Dec 4, 2011 : 5:38 a.m.

@biilybob...doing something out of the ordinary and comitting a crime are two different actions in my book...and if the victim is using a crime to cover a crime...2 wrongs don't make a right...and I was a victim of extreme domestic violence...I didn't find a cop and lie...possibly causing an innocent man to be arrested.....

Billy Bob Schwartz

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 : 1:37 a.m.

Why does a person smash her face in and make such a claim about being attacked? Not for the fun of it. Did I suggest she should not be held accountable? Nope. I just hope they do more than fine her and toss her aside. Guess I'm just not self-righteous enough to think I am entitled to demand vengeance on everyone who does something out of the ordinary. Ever think that a person might be living in a situation where where she gets beatings and tries to cover, for example. Yup. Everyone who does something that doesn't suit your idea of correct should be tried, convicted, and sent to Jackson. New words to look up: causation of behavior; compassion; vengeance.

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 : 1:01 a.m.

justcurious writes: "everyone uses therapy as an excuse for their behavior" Another patently false statement found on

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 : 12:17 a.m.

same goes for all criminal activity...that way only the insurance industry will bear the burden of criminal care...therapy!..oh premiums will go up again....sigh...although there is no real crime in Ann Arbor, just misunderstandings...."really, I just wanted that person to look at my pretty new gun"....miscommunications...."really, I want to do whatever work needed to earn money....not take it from you...." and misinterpreted body language..."really, I thought you were going to fall so I wanted to help you buy grabbing your purse...."

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 : 12:08 a.m.

That's what's wrong with this society, everyone uses therapy as an excuse for their behavior. I'm sick of paying insurance costs for therapy for someone who is just plain evil or stupid or manipulative. Ann Arbor, Therapy Capitol of the World.

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 : 12:02 a.m.

Did we here at sniff this one out or what, eh? That's some fine detective work there Lou...

5c0++ H4d13y

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 : 2:07 p.m.

Snift out comments usually get deleted.

Macabre Sunset

Fri, Dec 2, 2011 : 11:54 p.m.

The original story indicated she was taken to the hospital via ambulance. Did she fabricate injuries as well? AAPD won't continue with charges; I don't think there are any crosswalks near where this alleged incident allegedly took place.

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 : 12:18 a.m.

alleged crosswalks...

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 : 12:09 a.m.

On the scanner at the time it happened it sounded like she was requesting an ambulance.

Fri, Dec 2, 2011 : 11:39 p.m.

Wonderful. Go get 'er AAPD.