Posted on Thu, Dec 22, 2011 : 11:35 a.m.

Woman shot by husband before he committed suicide says he didn't mean to hurt her

By Kyle Feldscher

The woman who was shot by her husband before he turned the gun on himself Saturday night in Bridgewater Township said he did not intend to hurt her, the Manchester Enterprise reported Thursday.

In a letter to the editor, Jennifer Fairfield, 47, told Heritage Media the shooting was not a domestic violence incident and her husband Brent, 64, had been suffering from depression and anxiety. Jennifer Fairfield said she believes her husband either fired the gun by mistake or shot in her direction to keep her from being injured, the Enterprise reported.

“I can’t say for sure which, but I can say he did not intend to kill me,” Jennifer Fairfield said in the letter. “He loved me far too much to want to do anything to hurt me.”

Brent Fairfield shot Jennifer Fairfield once Saturday at their home in the 13000 block of East Austin Road in Bridgewater Township before committing suicide. Fairfield was originally taken to University of Michigan Hospital in critical condition, but she was upgraded to stable condition by Monday.

Kyle Feldscher covers cops and courts for AnnArbor.com. He can be reached at kylefeldscher@annarbor.com or you can follow him on Twitter.

Comments

actionjackson

Sat, Dec 24, 2011 : 7:23 p.m.

There are more and more people out there that have no health insurance therefore no access to medications that can prevent these horrible episodes of despair. My sincerest condolences to the Fairfield family.

Diane

Fri, Dec 23, 2011 : 1:45 p.m.

What a shame. God bless you in your recovery.

jns131

Fri, Dec 23, 2011 : 1:26 p.m.

Tis the season for the reason for mass depression. This article does not surprise me in the least. Especially with the season. We tell everyone to be of good cheer and relax. Most just don't get it. Glad to hear the woman survived, so sorry about the husband. Wish he had called the hotline before this. Good luck.

RJA

Thu, Dec 22, 2011 : 10:33 p.m.

Not to hurt anyone anymore than they are hurting, but what was the intent? Glad to hear the wife is in stable condition, and pray she continues to recover.

justcurious

Thu, Dec 22, 2011 : 10:42 p.m.

Read the complete story in the Manchester Enterprise.

nowayjose

Thu, Dec 22, 2011 : 5:11 p.m.

I wasnt there but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say when you fire a gun in someone's direction there is a reasonable expectation you are going to hurt them.

justcurious

Thu, Dec 22, 2011 : 10:41 p.m.

This man was having some serious problems, no one can say that he intentionally shot his wife.

Robbo

Thu, Dec 22, 2011 : 10:30 p.m.

Not at all, jcj.

jcj

Thu, Dec 22, 2011 : 9:39 p.m.

Did you read the story? Unnecessary comment!

justcurious

Thu, Dec 22, 2011 : 5:02 p.m.

I can understand Jennifer Fairfield's desire to let everyone know the true circumstances of this tragic story, and I applaud her for bringing it out. I'm so sorry that he was unable to continue on and I wish her nothing but peace in dealing with this. We all need to be aware of the pain of those around us, whether it shows or not.