You are viewing this article in the AnnArbor.com archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see MLive.com/ann-arbor
Posted on Fri, Aug 30, 2013 : 12:40 p.m.

5 displaced from home after air conditioning unit catches fire

By Kyle Feldscher

Five people were displaced from a Lima Township home Thursday evening after an air conditioning unit caught fire, officials said.

Firefighters were dispatched about 5:30 p.m. Thursday to the 8700 block of Boxelder Lane for a report of a fire, Dexter Area Fire Department Chief Lorin Yates said. An air conditioning unit on the second floor had caught fire and destroyed a bedroom, Yates said.

Much of the home suffered smoke and water damage, but the fire damage to the home was relatively limited, Yates said.

“It wasn’t so much structural damage as it was smoke and water,” he said.

The American Red Cross was called in to help the family find temporary housing.

The Chelsea Area Fire Authority and Scio Township Fire Department also responded to the fire. Huron Valley Ambulance was present as well, but no one was injured.


View Larger Map

Kyle Feldscher covers cops and courts for AnnArbor.com. He can be reached at kylefeldscher@annarbor.com or you can follow him on Twitter.