You are viewing this article in the archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see
Posted on Fri, Jan 25, 2013 : 11:53 a.m.

Basement fire extinguished in Dexter Township

By John Counts

Firefighters encountered three-foot flames as they entered a Dexter Township basement Friday morning, officials said.

The Dexter Area Fire Department was called to a home in the 10000 block of Fleming Road at 9:28 a.m. for reports of smoke in the basement, Lt. Michael Grissom said.

Smoke was showing from the house when crews arrived and the first firefighter who went down into the basement of the single family home encountered the flames, Grissom said.

The residents -- a married man and woman in their 60s -- made it out of the house without injury.

Grissom said the fire was isolated to the basement near a wood-burning stove. The fire was extinguished in about 10 minutes, he added.

"The wood-burning stove is being investigating as a contributing factor," Grissom said.

The basement was the only part of the house that suffered smoke damage. Firefighters stayed on scene to ventilate it.

“(The damage) was minor enough that (the residents) can stay in the house,” Grissom said.

Huron Valley Ambulance was dispatched to the scene, but no one required treatment or was taken to the hospital. Fire crews cleared the scene around 10:22 a.m.

View Larger Map

John Counts covers cops and courts for He can be reached at or you can follow him on Twitter.



Fri, Jan 25, 2013 : 9:26 p.m.

Yet case of a wood burning stove being the possible cause of a fire. I'm glad that this one was not as serious as the others. Another reminder to those burning wood in fireplaces and stoves.