Webster Township to consider five road projects Tuesday when officials meet with Road Commission
Webster Township officials will discuss planned road improvement projects with Washtenaw County Road Commission officials Tuesday.
Five road projects have been suggested by the Road Commission. They include:
- Chamberlin Road and North Territorial Road north to the curve — Berm removal, culvert replacement, shaping of the surface and the addition of about 2,100 tons of limestone at an estimated project road of $35,000.
- Donovan Road, north to Territorial Road — Berm removal, ditching, tree removal and shaping the surface plus adding about 3,500 tons of limestone at an estimated cost of $70,000.
- Maple Road south of Joy Road — Ditching, tree removal, shaping the surface and adding about 45 tons of limestone at an estimated cost of $3,000, but because it is a shared project with Northfield Township, the township’s cost would be about $1,500.
- Jennings Road south of North Territorial Road about 4,400 feet — Berm removal, ditching, tree removal, shaping the road and the addition of about 2,800 tons of limestone for an estimated cost of $61,000.
- Jennings Road north of North Territorial Road to the fence line at Independence Park. The work is a proposed shared project with the Washtenaw County Parks Department that includes three options.
Option One: Berm removal, ditching, tree removal, culvert replacements, shaping the surface and adding 6,350 tons of limestone for an estimated total project cost of $173,000 with Webster Township’s cost at $86,500.
Option Two: Berm removal, ditching, tree removal, culvert replacements and the addition of about 8,300 tons of limestone for a total cost of $357,000, with Webster Township’s portion estimated at $178,500.
Option Three: Berm removal, ditching, tree removal, culvert replacement, shaping the surface with a limestone base and an asphalt overlay with 3-foot limestone shoulders. The total estimated cost is $530,000 and the estimated cost to the township would be $265,000.
Last year, the township had $17,659 to work with in local road matching funding and this year, that amount is $17,986. The township also has $23,576 in drainage matching funds since it did not use $11,784 last year and has an additional $11,792 this year.
All local road matching funds were used in 2011 and among the larger projects were paving portions of North Territorial Road and Huron River Drive. Chip-sealing operations also took place on Webster Church and North Territorial roads to Joy Road and Joy Road and Webster Church roads to Zeeb Road.
Ditching was done on Ferrell Road each of Webster Church Road, while ditching and limestone were applied to Maple Road and Joy Road south 250 feet and Vaughn and Daly roads to Gregory Road. Limestone was added to Daly Road and Zeeb Road to Mast Road.
Webster Township has 43.42 miles of local gravel roads and last year, elected officials chose two solid applications of dust control for all of them. One application costs about $15,892.
The meeting is expected to begin at 6:30 p.m. at Township Hall and residents are encouraged to comment on what projects they'd like to see accomplished this year.
Lisa Allmendinger is a regional reporter for AnnArbor.com, who also covers the Washtenaw County Road Commission. She can be reached at email@example.com.