Early morning fire guts top floor of three-story home in Ann Arbor
An early morning house fire in Ann Arbor gutted the top floor of a three-story home converted into rental units.
Flames were shooting out the windows of the home at Main and Summit streets north of downtown, and it was engulfed in heavy smoke when firefighters arrived, Battalion Chief Chuck Hubbard said. A passerby noticed the fire and called 911 at 6 a.m.
Lon Horwedel | AnnArbor.com
"It was difficult going up the stairs, twisting and turning to get up to the attic area," Hubbard said. "It burned up the whole top floor."
Sixteen firefighters from five of the city's six fire units battled the blaze and had it under control within about 30 minutes, Hubbard said.
Firefighters don't know what started the fire. Investigators are at the house this morning, he said.
Hubbard did not have a damage estimate but said the second floor had smoke and water damage. The first floor was not affected. He did not know whether the home, which had been converted into about four rental units, had smoke detectors.
Contact Cindy Heflin at firstname.lastname@example.org or 734-623-2572.