You are viewing this article in the AnnArbor.com archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see MLive.com/ann-arbor
Posted on Mon, May 27, 2013 : 9:40 a.m.

Family displaced, 1 firefighter injured in blaze at attached condo unit

By Sven Gustafson

A fire early Monday at a condominium development displaced residents of two attached units and caused extensive damage, the Ann Arbor Fire Department said. One firefighter was injured at the scene but was treated and released from the hospital.

firevillageoaks.jpg

Fire investigators were focusing on a fire pit on the rear deck of one of the two attached condominium units that caught fire early Monday.

Photo courtesy Ann Arbor Fire Department

Firefighters responded to a 1:55 a.m. call about a fire at a 2-unit condo building on the 400 block of Village Oaks Court. The caller told dispatchers the whole rear of the unit was on fire.

The first crew to arrive found heavy flames in one condo spreading to the other attached unit. All inhabitants had evacuated the building.

Battalion Chief Steven Lowe in a news release said firefighters were able to quickly control heavy fire and stop the threat of it spreading. Two other units on either side of the burned unit reported smoke damage, he said.

Fire investigators were focusing on a fire pit on the back deck of one of the units.

The Washtenaw-Lenawee County Chapter of the American Red Cross said it provided a family of four with food and lodging, as well as beverages and snacks for about 30 first responders.

The injured firefighter was checked at the University of Michigan Hospital and released.

Firefighters from several other municipalities assisted at the scene.


View Larger Map

Comments

Homeland Conspiracy

Tue, May 28, 2013 : 12:54 a.m.

I bet they started the fire with a whole can of gas

a2citizen

Mon, May 27, 2013 : 9:14 p.m.

"...on..." ?

Arbuckle

Mon, May 27, 2013 : 8:56 p.m.

Truly unfortunate. I'm not sure what is being referred to here, but a fire "pit" is usually something you dig in the ground. It could have been a wood burning fire "bowl" or some sort of grilling device for food that uses charcoal, but I doubt they actually dug a pit into their deck. Any way you slice it, most ordinances say at least 50 feet from any structures, but I'm not sure about the City of Ann Arbor.

JRW

Mon, May 27, 2013 : 4:27 p.m.

A fire pit on a deck? How was that legal? The condo owner who did that needs to be responsible for all of the damage to other units, as well as their own unit. Terrible. If that fire pit on a deck was legal in any way, then laws need to be changed immediately.

Youwhine

Tue, May 28, 2013 : 10:38 a.m.

Because I am sure this person took the time to check all the local ordinances before having a fire on their back deck.

Anne Stehle

Mon, May 27, 2013 : 3:23 p.m.

Thankfully everyone got out and hopefully the firefighter will be alright. This could have ended tragically and did not.

JBK

Mon, May 27, 2013 : 3:05 p.m.

Wow! A fire pit on a wooden deck behind an attached condo. Sounds like a recipe for disaster!:(

Craig Lounsbury

Mon, May 27, 2013 : 3:19 p.m.

what could possibly go wrong?