You are viewing this article in the AnnArbor.com archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see MLive.com/ann-arbor
Posted on Wed, Oct 24, 2012 : 4:26 p.m.

Official: Superior Township fire started by unattended candle

By Kyle Feldscher

The fire at a mobile home in Superior Township Tuesday completely destroyed the residence and caused about $70,000 in damage, according to fire officials.

10232012_NEWS_1515_RidgeFire_DJB.jpg

The fire at the mobile home in the 1515 block of Ridge Road was ruled accidental and caused by an unattended candle. The two people hospitalized following the fire were released by Wednesday afternoon.

Daniel Brenner | AnnArbor.com

Superior Township Fire Department Fire Marshal Wayne Dickinson said Wednesday the fire was caused by a lit candle left unattended on the back of a bathtub in the bathroom. Dickinson said the investigation showed the plastic candle holder caught fire and the flames spread to a nearby six-foot artificial Christmas tree.

The fire spread from the tree to the roof, Dickinson said. The four people who lived in the home were displaced and were talking with the Red Cross Wednesday about getting a place to stay, Dickinson said. Two of the residents, a man and his daughter, were hospitalized but were released by Wednesday, he said.

“They were overwhelmed by the whole experience last night, which is understandable,” he said.

Firefighters were dispatched just after 5 p.m. Tuesday to a lot in the 1515 block of Ridge Road. The flames were shooting out of the roof and thin, gray smoke billowed into the sky causing the fire to be seen from far away.

The majority of the flames were out by 5:45 p.m. and firefighters stayed on scene until after 8 p.m. knocking down any remnants of the blaze, Dickinson said.

The damage to the home itself was $40,000 and the damage to the contents was valued at $30,000, Dickinson said. The fire has been ruled accidental, he said.

The man and the woman were taken to St. Joseph Mercy Hospital and University of Michigan Hospital, respectively, after they collapsed with medical issues following their escape from the home. Huron Valley Ambulance personnel transported them to the hospitals after treating them on scene briefly.

Witnesses on the scene Tuesday said a dog lived at the home as well and managed to escape.

The mobile home was equipped with smoke alarms, which alerted the residents to the fire and allowed them to escape without injuries.

Kyle Feldscher covers cops and courts for AnnArbor.com. He can be reached at kylefeldscher@annarbor.com or you can follow him on Twitter.

Comments

Pete

Fri, Oct 26, 2012 : 12:07 p.m.

It is twice described as a "mobile home", but the picture certainly doesn't look like one. "Eaves" are not usually found on mobile homes although the ones in the picture are minimal.

Tesla

Wed, Oct 24, 2012 : 11:38 p.m.

There was a christmas tree in the bathroom in October?

Arbuckle

Thu, Oct 25, 2012 : 3:32 p.m.

jrtluvr1959, why on earth would you consider the act of asking a legitimate question to be judgemental?? I would like to know the answer to this as well...

jrtluvr1959

Wed, Oct 24, 2012 : 11:46 p.m.

Why be so judgmental? Compassion is needed in an event such as this!