Man in wheelchair escapes fire in Ann Arbor apartment
A man in a wheelchair escaped to a hallway after a fire broke out Sunday in the kitchen of his third-floor apartment in the 100 block of Packard Street, Ann Arbor fire officials said.
The fire started at 1 p.m. after the man bumped into a stove knob with his wheelchair, accidentally turning on the stove, officials said in a news release.
Firefighters evacuated a number of residents from the third floor until they extinguished the fire, the release said. The blaze caused extensive damage to the kitchen of the man's apartment and minor smoke damage to the rest of the apartment.
Fire officials could not immediately be reached for comment Monday morning.