Fire in Chelsea causes heavy damage to apartments in converted home
Lon Horwedel | AnnArbor.com
A fire caused extensive damage early this morning to two units of a Chelsea home converted into apartments.
Chelsea Fire Chief Jim Payeur said firefighters who were called to the blaze in the 300 block of South Street about 2 a.m. found heavy fire and smoke on the first and second floors extending into the attic. Firefighters quickly attacked the blaze with hand lines and were able to stop it from spreading beyond two units, he said.
Firefighters had the blaze under control by about 3 a.m., he said. The four families who lived in the four units of the converted home had all left the building by the time firefighters arrived. All have been displaced and are receiving assistance from the Red Cross.
Payeur estimated damage to the structure at $200,000. He said investigators have ruled the fire accidental but haven't determined the exact cause. It started in a back porch entry area, he said.
About 30 firefighters from four departments battled the blaze. The Dexter, Manchester and Stockbridge fire departments assisted Chelsea at the fire, while crews from Unadilla Township manned the Chelsea station.