Fourth of July festivities scheduled for the whole family
Washtenaw County has a lot to offer this 4th of July. Events from firework displays and parades to T-shirt decorating and comedy shows are scheduled to keep the whole family entertained this weekend and in to next week. (To add an item, leave a comment or email email@example.com.)
- Saturday, June 29, 7-11 p.m. - : The Hudson Mills Metropark Firework Show will feature a DJ providing music from 7 p.m. until the fireworks display, which is scheduled to start at 10 p.m. After 5 p.m. there is a $10 special event daily vehicle permit required for entry. Admission is free with an annual permit. Call Hudson Mills Metropark at 724-426-8211 for more information.
- Saturday, June 29 at approximately 10 p.m. - “Fireworks Extravaganza” located at Whitmore Lake will feature a patriotic fireworks display set off from the center of the lake. A rain date has been set for June 30. Fireworks can be viewed from all shore areas. Music, games and activities will be held before the fireworks across the street from the Post Office on Main Street. Admission is free.
- Wednesday, July 3 at dusk - The Manchester Fireworks Display located at Carr Park, 600 W. Main St., is an annual display sponsored by the Manchester Men’s Club. Admission is free, but donations are accepted.
- Thursday, July 4 at 10 a.m. - The 23rd Annual Ann Arbor Jaycees 4th of July Parade through downtown Ann Arbor will feature floats and musical groups. Children may decorate bikes and ride in the parade this year. On State, Liberty, Main and William streets. For more information and a map of the parade route, visit the Ann Arbor Jaycees website. Prior to the parade, the annual Firecracker 5K and 100 Meter Kids Dash takes place downtown as well; details at a2firecracker5k.com.
- Thursday, July 4 at 11 a.m. - The Ypsilanti Independence Parade hosted by American Legion Post 282 and Ypsilanti Jaycees will begin on the corner of Oakwood and Cross and end at Rice Street in Depot Town.
- Thursday, July 4 at 10 a.m. - The Whitmore Lake Independence Day Parade will start on Barker Road at Timbercrest in Whitmore Lake. It will feature fire trucks, floats and decorated bicycles among other things.
Arts, entertainment and food
- Saturday, June 29 and Tuesday, July 2 from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. - Take on T-Shirts: Fireworks T-Shirt, hosted by the Ypsilanti District Library on Whittaker Road will allow visitors to decorate firework tie-dye T-shirts just in time for the 4th of July. Bring your own pre-washed, white cotton t-shirt.
- Thursday, July 4 at 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. - The Capitol Steps, hosted by the Ann Arbor Summer Festival at the Power Center features song parodies and sketches that poke fun at current political issues, events and personalities. This Ann Arbor 4th of July tradition will feature two show times, 5 and 8 p.m. Tickets are between $30 and $50 and can be purchased online.
- Thursday, July 4 at 11 a.m.- Sons of the American Legion Post 31's annual July 4th Chicken BBQ will serve up a grilled chicken dinner that includes coleslaw, baked beans, a bag of chips and a roll for $9. Come to the post,1700 Ridge Road, to enjoy the celebratory feast. For more information call 475-1964.
View 4th of July Events in a larger map
Chelsea Hoedl is an intern reporter for AnnArbor.com. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.